School Reports 2012: Grey London
Grey London had the chance last year to show that its management team has effected an impressive turnaround.
|Agency fact file: Grey London|
|Type of agency||Advertising|
|Key personnel||Chris Hirst chief executive|
|Nils Leonard executive creative director|
|Simon White joint managing director, head of planning|
|Hugo Feiler joint managing director, head of client services|
|Nielsen billings 2011||£136m|
|Nielsen billings 2010||£134m|
|Total accounts at year end||18|
|Accounts won||2 (biggest: Vodafone Ireland)|
|Number of staff||195 (+17%)|
The shop was able to concentrate on getting work out of the door after shoring up its new business in 2010.
Overall, Grey managed to demonstrate a creative spark. Lucozade was its success story of the year. The agency's campaign for the brand was ambitious in scope and gave it some much-needed differentiation and a renewed appeal to a younger audience in a very competitive market.
For Lucozade's breakout spot, Grey assembled the rapper Tinie Tempah, Blink-182's drummer, Travis Barker, and the boxer Katie Taylor. The combination proved to be a winner and the follow-up spots cemented the brand's association with music. The track on the TV ad for the Sport Lite variant, which was released by the Ministry of Sound, charted at number one.
Other notable work included a charming campaign for Clover Lighter that featured an elderly choir. In addition, Grey's first creative output for Sony involved an ambitious CGI spot that aired in both 2D and 3D worldwide.
Grey also won the advertising account for Vodafone Ireland at the beginning of the year and picked up Greene King's creative business after a pitch.
To boost digital credentials, Ivan Palmer, the managing partner of the Grey-owned social media agency Social Partners, and Craig Morgan, the digital director, were promoted to the board. However, Grey lost its chief strategy officer, Neil Hourston, who left to launch the start-up The Corner.
In all, though, 2011 was a solid year that showed a marked improvement on the work and an agency that lost its way some years ago continue to head in the right direction.
Score last year: 7
How Grey London rates itself: 7
"Bedding in our ten new-business wins. The year of Lucozade 'yes'. Three films. Fourteen-million YouTube views. Louder UK number-one single. Highest pre-order in iTunes history. 2.1 million new customers. Shortlisted for Campaign and Advertiser of the Year. Hyper Island. Vodafone Ireland and Greene King wins. One year on, still winning awards for The Angina Monologues. Our first 'FWA' for Country Life Picnic app. Twelve-thousand people 'like' a buttery spread on Facebook. Euro Effie for Pantene."
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
- On-Air Creative / Creative Executive Discovery Communications Very Competitive with excellent benefits, London (West), London (Greater)
- Commercials Producer/Director Searchlight Recruitment An attractive salary is available to the successful candidate. , London (Central), London (Greater)
- Senior Marketing Manager Cutis Developments £50,000 - £60,000 per annum , Victoria, London (Greater)
- HTML Email developer Creative Recruitment £25000 - £28000 per annum, Isleworth
- Senior Consultant / Qualitative Research / West end, London / Salary 35k-40k Trace £35,000 to £40,000 , West End, London
- Five black Pencils awarded at D&AD 2015
- Diageo and BBH end 15-year relationship
- Networking is never easier than in the queue for the toilet
- Campaign Viral Chart: True Detective trailer in number one spot
- Is The Net Set a welcome addition?
- Vizeum on alert as 21st Century Fox review includes £150m European media