School Reports 2012: MEC UK
MEC has positioned itself in an interesting space between media creativity and effectiveness with some success. Last year, it won a gold at the Campaign Media Awards, for a campaign it brokered between The Famous Grouse and The Telegraph, and two more at the Media Week Awards, one of which was for a product it developed that helps clients achieve the most out of proprietary data.
|Agency factfile: MEC UK|
|Type of agency||Full-service media|
|Key personnel||Steve Hatch chief executive|
|Stuart Sullivan-Martin chief strategy officer|
|Jason Dormieux chief operating officer|
|Stuart Bowden managing director|
|Sarah Hennessy deputy managing director|
|Nielsen billings 2011||£687m|
|Nielsen billings 2010||£665m|
|Declared income||£35m (2010)|
|Total accounts at year end||265|
|Accounts won||25 (biggest: T-Mobile)|
|Accounts lost||3 (biggest: Wickes – resigned)|
|Search, display and digital||14%|
|Number of staff||423 (+17%)|
This appears to have translated into new-business success - MEC topped the rankings for most of 2011 after winning briefs from T-Mobile, Bupa and Marriott, to name a few. On the flipside, MEC resigned Wickes when it went up for pitch and lost the Gocompare and global Sony Ericsson businesses.
It also underwent wholesale management changes after its chief executive, Tom George, was made the chairman for North Europe. This was good news for the managing director, Steve Hatch, who was promoted to the role of UK chief executive. He instigated further staff changes, such as bringing back his former colleague Stuart Bowden from Vizeum as managing director and promoting Sarah Hennessy to deputy managing director.
Hatch has installed a new regime with a younger team running the Southwark-based shop. Let's see if they can bring greater stability, while maintaining MEC's distinct positioning, over the year ahead.
Score last year: 8
How MEC UK rates itself: 8
"We'll look back at 2011 as a good year for MEC. We're particularly pleased to see the success of our Analytics and Insight team, which pipped Google to the post by winning in the Data Innovation category at the Media Week Awards. MEC's proprietary technology is now being exported to AT&T in North America. For the coming year, we're more focused than ever on producing great, joined-up ideas."
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
- Digital Display Manager - Leading Agency GoodEgg Digital £Neg + Great Benefits, South East England / London (Central), London (Greater)
- Affiliates Executive - No. 1 Agency! GoodEgg Digital Circa £25k + Exceptional Benefits, Central London
- Senior Marketing Director - 9-12 month FTC Comedy Central £competitive, Camden, London (Greater)
- Business Development Manager Stopgap competitive, London
- Senior Account Manager - Integrated Royds Raphael £35k-£45k+bonus+benefits, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Nissan creates tactical ad 7 mins after royal baby no. 2 announcement
- Advertising tech companies make up fifth of Britain's fastest-growing businesses
- The rear of the Apple Watch is more interesting than the face
- TV body Barb to track viewing via tablets
- Reebok Classics brand film champions 'Madchester' revival
- Channel 4 to drop 4oD for digital service All 4