School Reports 2012: Publicis Chemistry
Publicis Chemistry was created last year after Publicis announced in January 2011 the £14.5 million takeover of the independent agency Chemistry and subsequent plans to merge it with Publicis Dialog.
Score: too early to score
|Agency factfile: Publicis Chemistry|
|Type of agency||Integrated digital|
|Company ownership||Publicis Groupe|
|Key personnel||Nigel Jones group UK chairman and chief executive|
|Joe Garton chief executive|
|Diane Charlton managing director|
|David Prideaux executive creative director|
|Jason Foo deputy managing director|
|Total accounts at year end||20|
|Accounts won||6 (biggest: Co-operative Financial Services)|
|Number of staff||296 (+54%)|
The move increased Dialog's head count by more than 50 per cent and saw the continued involvement of Chemistry's chief executive, Joe Garton, and the managing director, Diane Charlton. The pair oversaw Chemistry's move into Publicis' Baker Street offices and retained the same job titles.
Mike Welsh, the Dialog chief executive, also took on a senior role, while the top creative berth went to Dialog's David Prideaux, with Chemistry's executive creative director, Peter Harle, making the decision to leave rather than take on a position in the new agency.
With the management line-up complete, the agency knuckled down to winning new business. Publicis Chemistry's official launch in August also coincided with its first win: the social media and eCRM work for the dessert brand Gu.
Other new business soon followed from Co-operative Financial Services, Phonak, Alliance Healthcare, SHL and T-Mobile. It also managed to build on its relationship with Renault.
While Publicis Chemistry now offers significant scale and an impressive management line-up, it will be interesting to see if it can now create work that is talked about. DMA awards for Orange and SCA in December were a good start, but 2012 will be the year for the agency to demonstrate that it's not only one of the biggest direct marketing agencies but also one of the best.
How Publicis Chemistry rates itself: 7.5
"What a year. We created Publicis Chemistry out of a merger between Chemistry and Publicis UK's below-the-line brands. This meant moving 200 people into Baker Street to create one of the UK's largest integrated agencies. As if that wasn't enough, in our first five months, we won five pitches, as well as retaining and growing our Renault business. To round off the year, we even won a couple of DMA gold awards. Bring on 2012!"
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
- Account Director: Liverpool Blue Skies Marketing Recruitment £40000 - £45000 per annum, Liverpool
- Junior Artworker #RETAIL #FASHION #CONSUMERGOODS #PACKAGING Creative Recruitment £23000 per annum, London
- INTEGRATED DESIGNER 70% DIGITAL 30% PRINT #HTML #INTERNALCOMMS Creative Recruitment £30000 per annum, London
- Junior Designer,Developer #HMTL #CSS Creative Recruitment £25000 per annum, London
- Digital Project Manager. #WEBBUILDS #MOBILEAPPS #TABLETAPPS Creative Recruitment £35000 - £45000 per annum, Berkshire
- Google's European leader says viewing habits are 'changing dramatically'
- Tesco media review pits Initiative against MediaCom and ZenithOptimedia
- Martin Sorrell talks Maurice Lévy, Tesco, and the global outlook
- Land Rover to move global ad account into Spark44
- Viacom to bring Breaking Bad to Freeview with Spike launch
- 'Advertisers are snake oil salesmen', says Peter Oborne