Bombardier ident banned for linking beer to sex
Bombardier, the Wells & Young beer, has had one of its idents for its sponsorship of primetime on UKTV channel Dave banned for linking sexual activity to an alcoholic drink.
Although the characters in the idents were not drinking, Ofcom ruled that because a sexual act was implied and the Bombardier character is intrinsically linked with an alcoholic drink, the idents were still in breach of broadcasting rules.
The marketing for Wells Bombardier features a character called the Bombardier who is played by Rik Mayall and is similar to the character, Lord Flashheart, who Mayall played in the comedy series 'Blackadder'.
In the ident, called "the sweet kiss of summer", the Bombardier is seated and partially covered by a blanket on a battlefield. He looks to the camera and says, "Ah, the sweet kiss of summer".
A woman then appears from under the blanket and the Bombardier says, "hello Summer".
The woman looks at the Bombardier, smiles and laughs and goes back under the blanket, into Rik Mayall's lap.
The ident was one of around 140 made by Karmarama to support Bombardier's sponsorship.
In its decision Ofcom said the appearance of the woman from under the blanket in the Bombardier's lap and the script of this credit "clearly implied that the woman had been performing oral sex on the Bombardier".
Ofcom decided that the Bombardier character was "intrinsically linked" with an alcoholic drink, irrespective of the fact that the characters in the credit were not shown to be consuming alcohol.
As such this credit was found to be in breach of Rule 9.17 of the Broadcasting Code, with reference to Rule 19.6 of the BCAP Code.
A UKTV spokeswoman said: "This sponsorship credit was played after 10pm on Dave, an established channel positioned as the home of witty banter. However we apologise to any of our viewers who were offended by this sponsorship credit, which will no longer be used."
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
- Head of UX & Digital Design Director MCG Associates tax free competitive package, Dubai (Emirate) (AE)
- Account Executive Regan & Dean Recruitment Limited £23000 - £25000 per annum, City of London
- Marketing Manager Dynamic New Alliances £50000.00 per annum, City of London
- PR Account Manager- Wine and Spirits Blue Skies Marketing Recruitment £30000 - £35000 per annum, London
- Marketing Procurement Manager Sky benefits, Isleworth
- ZenithOptimedia loses £200m O2 business to Havas Media without a pitch
- Facebook IQ reveals marketing to millennials is flawed
- Vizeum retains £14m AB InBev in the UK and adds European markets
- Breast Cancer Campaign crowd-sources videos for 'wear it pink' campaign
- Sir Martin Sorrell labels Omnicom CFO exit 'bizarre'
- Guardian joins forces with Telegraph for media planning tool