CRISTAL FESTIVAL: Don't just innovate for the sake of it, says Mademoiselle Scarlett chief
Creative agencies shouldn't just innovate for the sake of it and should be respectful for what brands are about, according to Oliver Bouas-Laurent, chief executive of French agency Mademoiselle Scarlett.
Speaking at the Cristal festival for media and advertising in Switzerland yesterday, Bouas-Laurent, whose agency works with clients such as Porsche, Bonne Maman and Desperados, said agencies needed to realise "meaning is back".
He said: "People want meaning. People are flagging. You shouldn't just innovate for the sake of innovating. When you're innovating, you have to be respectful for what the brand is about
"People want an experience that is pertinent; that's in sync with the brand."
In common with ideas presented by Fru Hazlitt, ITV's managing director of commercial, online and interactive, at the IAB Engage conference in the UK in October, Bouas-Laurent said "digital" had ceased to be a "topic" and was now integrated into the wider conversation.
He said: "Innovation is what we consume every day. We're already multiscreen. What we're looking for is something that has never been done before. A first. Like a show."
Brands should try and surprise people, Bouas-Laurent said. "It's better to adopt a 365-day strategy, rather than a 360-degree strategy. Try and constantly surprise [the consumer] throughout the year rather than have the same strategy all year long."
Earlier in the session on market research, Luc Laurentin, development director at research firm Limelight Consulting, said creative agencies should not just be creative "for the sake of being creative" and should get out of their silos.
Laurentin said: "What ever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. It's between the moment you're going to fall, and when you fall, that you make the most progress."
The Cristal summit for media and advertising started on Wednesday (12 December) at the Crans-Montana ski resort in Switzerland and the sessions and awards ceremonies continue until Sunday (16 December).
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
- Mid Weight Planner - ATL Daniel Marks London £30-£50K + Excellent Benefits, Central London
- Account Director - B2B Comms - Central London WE ARE THOMAS £50-55k plus benefits, Central London
- SEO Executive - Full Service Media Agency - London Norton Leigh 25k + Benefits, Central London
- Category / Trade Marketing Executive Ninesharp £20000 - £22000 per annum + Benefits, Hertfordshire
- Social Media Account Manager - London agency Digital Gurus £30000 - £35000 per annum + Benefits!, London
- Kevin Bacon, Google Glass and Julian Assange: the SXSW weekend in tweets
- International Women's Day: "my gender is irrelevant" says Lisa Thomas
- Omnicom Media Group buys Mobile5
- BBH launches sport division with Lawrence Dallaglio
- IPA's 2014 Women of Tomorrow competition winners revealed
- HSBC launches Hong Kong Rugby Sevens push