Chime pre-tax profits up 70% fuelled by London 2012
By Louise Ridley, campaignlive.co.uk, Wednesday, 06 March 2013 12:25PM
Chime Communications' profits increased 70% year on year to £25.3m in 2012, buoyed by the Olympic success of its sports marketing division and despite new business costs hitting ad agency VCCP.
Chime’s sports marketing division had a particularly successful year due to sponsorship deals at the European football championship and Olympics with operating profit of £15.8m, up 158% year on year.
Although Chime’s headline pre-tax profits showed healthy growth, the group’s reported pre-tax profits declined by 86% year on year to £2.5m in 2012 due to changes to guidelines on how earn outs are reported.
The group's advertising and marketing services division, which includes VCCP, saw operating profit fall 34.3% from £6.7m to £4.4m in the year to 31 December 2012. Margins for the division also slipped from 13.6% to 8.1% for the year.
Chris Satterthwaite, the chief executive of Chime Communications, said: "Our advertising companies have grown 10% in operating income, which shows they are winning market share.
"But profits were down because it was a year of major investment for the advertising division, in that we opened offices in Sydney and Madrid and launched start-ups VCCP Content and VCCP Media.
"There was also a high level of pitch costs, because VCCP were pitching so much."
VCCP won 12 pitches last year, more than any other agency according to AAR.
Improving margins will be a focus for 2013, Satterthwaite said.
He said: "I fully expect the margin to return this year, because we’ve won good business in 2012 which will come to fruition, and we have no immediate plans to launch more start-up offices."
Overall income at the group was £157.5m in 2012, up 20% year on year.Follow @LouiseRidley
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
- Campaign Marketing Manager EMAP Competitive + Bonus, London (Greater) / London (East), London (Greater)
- Exhibition Designers WRG Live Competitive salary and benefits package dependant upon experience, Manchester, Greater Manchester
- Producer WRG Live Competitve salary and benefits package dependent upon experience, London (Central), London (Greater) / Manchester, Greater Manchester
- Content Manager WRG Live Competitive salary and benefits package, Manchester, Greater Manchester
- Marketing Manager (Mobile and Social) Creative Recruitment £40000 - £50000 per annum, London
- Martin Sorrell earns 780 times more than average WPP employee
- 3 top tips on how to save an epic social media fail
- Lake Capital rejects demands of Engine's rebel shareholders
- Head lice-killing mousse launches in the UK with cartoon campaign
- Facebook's 'Buy' button: a leap too far?
- Beiersdorf postpones review after MAA criticisms of procedure