Close-Up: My YouTube ad of the week - Doritos
By Steve Parker, managing director, MediaVest, campaignlive.co.uk, Friday, 05 November 2010 12:00AM
Task: Support the launch of Doritos' late-night flavours range.
Execution: A branded channel hosting YouTube's first 360-degree interactive music video. The video is for Coming To Get Me by Professor Green and lets users zoom in/out and scroll in 360 degrees as it progresses, following the rapper and his mates as they explore a warehouse party. The video builds on Doritos' earlier augmented reality video for Rihanna's Who's That Chick?.
Credit: Abbott Mead Vickers BBDO.
Why I like it: Doritos has shown a real understanding of the value exchange required to make meaningful connections with its audience. It also gets that it isn't about Doritos; it's about the content and so has invested in making this entertaining, innovative and exclusive.
You can literally look around the video as if you're there, seeing different things each time you watch it. The effect is brilliant - it's definitely the closest I'm ever going to get to a warehouse rave with Professor Green. So by partnering with EMI, it's content that has real currency.
Wish I'd thought of: The wider platform of providing exclusive late-night content has the potential to run and run, generating revenue for both Doritos and its content partners beyond just selling packets of crisps. The Professor Green track is now likely to be released commercially with Doritos and the artist set to cash in.
The follow-on possibilities are endless with exclusive albums, gigs and tours all a possibility. It's a smart example of a winning partnership between brand and artist.
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
- Artworker Fashion & Retail Personnel Consultancy £23000 - £25000 per annum + Outstanding Benefits!, London
- Head of Marketing Blemain Group Competitive plus bonus and benefits, North West
- Digital Senior Account Manager Twist Recruitment £30000.00 - £35000.00 per annum, London
- Digital Marketing Analyst Better Placed Recruitment £45000 - £55000 per annum, East London
- Global Head of Studio and Production Creative Recruitment £65000 - £80000 per annum + Pro Rata, City of London