School Reports 2011: VCCP
By Staff, campaignlive.co.uk, Monday, 05 September 2011 08:00AM
2010 saw VCCP work almost as hard as its Aleksandr Orlov character, using the doors opened by the famous meerkat to achieve 19 new-business wins that characterised its year.
|Agency fact file: VCCP|
|Type of agency||Communications|
|Company ownership||Chime Communications|
|Key personnel||Charles Vallance founding partner|
|Rooney Carruthers founding partner|
|Adrian Coleman founding partner|
|Michael Sugden managing director|
|Dominic Stinton group managing director|
|The Nielsen Company billings 2010||£122m|
|The Nielsen Company billings 2009||£104m|
|Total accounts at year end||69|
|Accounts won||19 (biggest: Molson Coors)|
|Number of staff||238 (+8%)|
Major wins included Coors Light, Freesat, Oasis (which strengthened the agency's position on the Coca-Cola roster), Virgin Money and Total Jobs. The agency ended 2010 by landing the Burton's Foods account and, earlier in the year, tightened its grip on its founding client O2 with the digital creative win.
It didn't all go VCCP's way as it failed to convert pitches for Foster's, Emirates and BMW, but the agency had success in building its relationships with existing clients and delivered strong work, for the likes of O2 (in the shape of ads featuring Foo Fighters and Gorillaz), 5 Alive (a dancing dodo) and npower (Wallace & Gromit). And, of course, there were a couple of highly anticipated spots for Comparethemarket.com that continued to keep Aleksandr in the spotlight.
The agency was stable at the top with its founders remaining on board and it maintained able leadership in the shape of the managing director, Michael Sugden and the creative directors, Darren Bailes and Steve Vranakis. The planning director, Michael Lee, left to join Abbott Mead Vickers BBDO and the head of digital, Michael Edge, also upped sticks. The agency promoted Tracey Follows to replace Lee and bolstered its digital credentials with the appointment of Amazon's Kristina Smith as its head of search.
2010 was a successful year for VCCP, and, helped by its partnership structure which embraces the direct business Stephens Francis Whitson, it can lay greater claim to integration than its rivals. If VCCP can bring creative brilliance to a broader range of clients, it might become as talked about as its most famous creation.
Score last year: 8
How VCCP rates itself: 8
"2010, the year clients needed their agencies to work hard. So we're very proud that O2 was confirmed as the most successful brand in IPA Effectiveness history, Comparethemarket.com helped generate bumper dividends for its parent company and Standard Life, Hiscox and Southern online sales were in double-digit growth. VCCP expanded its offering by launching VCCP Listen and VCCP Prague in addition to partnering with the data specialist Tree. We won 19 pitches with no losses."
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
- On-Air Creative / Creative Executive Discovery Communications Very Competitive with excellent benefits, London (West), London (Greater)
- Commercials Producer/Director Searchlight Recruitment An attractive salary is available to the successful candidate. , London (Central), London (Greater)
- Senior Marketing Manager Cutis Developments £50,000 - £60,000 per annum , Victoria, London (Greater)
- International Media Account Manager - Leading Media Agency Ultimate Asset £32000 - £35000 per annum + great benefits package + bonus, London
- Comms Account Director -Music Brand -Leading Media Agency Ultimate Asset £45000 - £65000 per annum + competitive, London
- Pimm's launches weather activated OOH campaign
- Managing director Paul Hayes to leave News UK after 15 years
- Tango returns to advertising after two years with off-brand TV ad
- Vizeum on alert as 21st Century Fox review includes £150m European media
- Why D&AD's first Black Pencil for Radio in 32 years is significant
- Procter & Gamble YouTube video banned