I wish I'd done ... Bing 'decode Jay-Z with Bing'
campaignlive.co.uk, Thursday, 24 May 2012 08:00AM
Mick Mahoney, executive creative director, Euro RSCG London
One day, this will be cited by the next generation of industry stars as one of the pieces of work that inspired them to get into our business. For me, it's the benchmark for integrated thinking. And proves that advertising can take on any shape. I still have to swallow back the sick every time I think about this campaign having someone else's name on it.
A simple idea played out on an audacious scale and beautifully executed. The attention to detail is incredible. Every day for a month, another page of Jay-Z's memoir, Decoded, was placed somewhere in the world that was relevant to the content of the page. One was made into the silk lining of a jacket; another lined the Delano pool.
By following clues on Facebook and Twitter and utilising functions on Bing, you could piece the book together digitally on the Decode site, enabling you to read the book before it was released.
The idea generated a phenomenal amount of media attention, resulting in Bing becoming one of the world's top-ten most-visited sites.
So, not only genius, but successful genius.
Roll the Credits
Title: Decode Jay-Z with Bing
Clients: Eric Hadley, general manager of marketing; Ryan Cameron, senior
marketing manager, Bing
Creative director: Neil Heymann
Copywriter: Adam Noel
Art director: Jon Kubik
Designer: Jon Donaghy
Director of photography: Paul McGeiver
Senior digital designer: Piper Darley
Head of integrated production: Sally-Ann Dale
Senior digital producer: Andrew Allen
Executive OOH producer: Cliff Lewis
Studio artist: Chris Thomas
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
- Senior Marketing Director - 9-12 month FTC Comedy Central £competitive, Camden, London (Greater)
- Recruitment Manager - Technical Development Team Propel £28000 - £90000 per annum, London
- Copywriter & Marketing Executive - Events, Integrated Marketing Live Recruitment £22000 - £27000 per annum, London
- PR Account Executive Blue Skies Marketing Recruitment £16000 - £20000 per annum, Warwickshire
- Recruitment Team Leader - Technology (Contract) Propel £35000 - £42000 per annum + OTE £80k, London
Agency: Wieden & Kennedy New York
- Comparethemarket.com first UK brand to run Facebook Premium Video ads
- Guinness Africa launches 'made of black' campaign with Kanye West ad
- Twitter launches learning hub for agencies
- Game Of Thrones actress stars in online Karen Millen campaign
- McDonald's launches 40th anniversary campaign
- Models strip in River Island's first TV campaign