I wish I'd done ... Bing 'decode Jay-Z with Bing'
campaignlive.co.uk, Thursday, 24 May 2012 08:00AM
Mick Mahoney, executive creative director, Euro RSCG London
One day, this will be cited by the next generation of industry stars as one of the pieces of work that inspired them to get into our business. For me, it's the benchmark for integrated thinking. And proves that advertising can take on any shape. I still have to swallow back the sick every time I think about this campaign having someone else's name on it.
A simple idea played out on an audacious scale and beautifully executed. The attention to detail is incredible. Every day for a month, another page of Jay-Z's memoir, Decoded, was placed somewhere in the world that was relevant to the content of the page. One was made into the silk lining of a jacket; another lined the Delano pool.
By following clues on Facebook and Twitter and utilising functions on Bing, you could piece the book together digitally on the Decode site, enabling you to read the book before it was released.
The idea generated a phenomenal amount of media attention, resulting in Bing becoming one of the world's top-ten most-visited sites.
So, not only genius, but successful genius.
Roll the Credits
Title: Decode Jay-Z with Bing
Clients: Eric Hadley, general manager of marketing; Ryan Cameron, senior
marketing manager, Bing
Creative director: Neil Heymann
Copywriter: Adam Noel
Art director: Jon Kubik
Designer: Jon Donaghy
Director of photography: Paul McGeiver
Senior digital designer: Piper Darley
Head of integrated production: Sally-Ann Dale
Senior digital producer: Andrew Allen
Executive OOH producer: Cliff Lewis
Studio artist: Chris Thomas
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
- Senior Account Manager Purple Consultancy £34000 - £42000 per annum, London
- B2B Marketing Manager - Media Owner Silverdrum To £50,000 + benefits, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Senior Partnerships Manager Sky Negotiable, West London
- Business Development Director/Manager - Experiential / Event led agency Spectrum £50,000 - £90,000, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Account Manager / Strategist - FMCG Shopper Marketing Promotions Digital Adv. Direct/CRM Exp Spectrum £30,000 - £45,000, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Will.i.am clashes with Martin Sorrell over online ads in Cannes
- UK agencies win 7 Media Lions
- Twitter to embrace power of TV in UK ad campaign
- Martin Sorrell on the mega-media reviews: 'We can't remember anything like this'
- Aston Martin appoints WPP to global marketing account
- Geometry Dubai hands over Cannes Grand Prix amid controversy