Robert Allsop - costume designer, Robert Allsop & Associates
campaignlive.co.uk, Thursday, 08 November 2012 08:00AM
Why Allsop created the giant toy costumes for Ikea’s "Playin With My Friends" spot by Mother.
How Allsop says: "As ever, the biggest challenge was the timeframe. With specialist costumes, nothing can be hired, so everything has to be purpose-built.
Also, there was no time to design a mechanism for the clockwork key in the robot, so I ended up buying a rechargeable drill and rigging that to the costume."
How did you get into costume design? I studied theatre design, specialising in costume, though I would now consider myself to be more of a specialist maker who sometimes is asked to design.
What projects are you most proud of? The work we did on the recent Dredd 3D film. We collaborated with the costume designer Michael O’Connor to develop the look of the leading characters, then made their final costumes in my workshop. I am also pleased to have been working closely with Alexandra Byrne on 300: Rise Of An Empire.
Are there any costumes you particularly enjoy working on? Costumes with a bit of a wow factor that completely transform the wearer. Some of my work on Dr Who would fall into this category: space suits, robots, space troopers – that sort of thing.
What inspires you? It is always inspiring to work with a designer or director who has great ideas. Sometimes it is good to avoid the obvious; when designing the handbots for Dr Who, I looked at fashion references rather than other robots. But sometimes the obvious solution is what is required, particularly in some ads where you have seconds to get an idea across.
What does the future hold? At present, we are working on a huge production of The Magic Flute for the Bregenz opera festival in Austria next July. It’s an amazing venue, featured in the James Bond film Quantum Of Solace.
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
- Senior Account Manager - Integrated Creative Agency Spectrum 360 Recruitment £36k - £40k, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Senior Data Planner / Strategist Direct Recruitment £60K- £70K, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Marketing Manager Direct Recruitment £45-50k plus bonus, Homeworking/flexible UK
- International Account Director - Media Agency (Benelux & Scandinavia Regions) Silverdrum £45,000 + benefits, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Global Business Director Twist Recruitment £90000.00 - £100000 per annum, City of London
- Oreo eclipses The Sun in celestial stunt
- Katharine Viner becomes first female editor-in-chief of Guardian News & Media
- Why Viacom spent £120m extending Channel 5's Big Brother deal for three more years
- Tesco media review pits Initiative against MediaCom and ZenithOptimedia
- Comparethemarket.com offers two for one cinema tickets with Meerkat Movies
- Google's European leader says viewing habits are 'changing dramatically'