AMV BBDO wins Direct Agency of the Year at Cannes
By Matt Williams, campaignlive.co.uk, Monday, 21 June 2010 09:10PM
CANNES 2010 - Abbott Mead Vickers BBDO has been named Direct Agency of the Year at this year's Cannes Lions, but no other UK shop picked up an award.
AMV continued its strong form at the festival thanks to its campaigns for Walkers Crisps, which won a Gold Lion, and for the Metropolitan Police, which picked up a Gold and a Bronze.
No other UK agency was awarded, despite the jury handing out 75 Lions, including 19 Golds and 24 Silvers.
The Direct Grand Prix, awarded to the best of the Gold winners, went to the Auckland-based agency Special Group, for its campaign for Orcon Broadbrand.
The campaign, which aimed to demonstrate Orcon's connection speed, saw the company link up with Iggy Pop to record a new version of the singer's hit single "The Passenger".
The song was recorded using musicians based in New Zealand, who communicated with Iggy Pop live via the internet.
Pablo Alzugaray, the president of the Direct jury, said: "The campaign got the Grand Prix from the first time that we saw it. It's a very smart and powerful idea."
He added: "It's one of the best uses of celebrity we've ever seen, and on a basic level, it's also an excellent product demo."
Along with AMV BBDO and the Special Group, Gold Lions were awarded to agencies including Grey Vancouver, Leo Burnett Hong Kong, DDB New Zealand, Farfar Stockholm, TBWA\PHS Helsinki and Jung Von Matt Hamburg.
Six Golds were also handed to Australian agencies, with three of them going to Saatchi & Saatchi Sydney.
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
- Mid Weight Planner - ATL Daniel Marks London £30-£50K + Excellent Benefits, Central London
- Director of Strategy Factory Design Labs Depending on Qualifications, Valais
- Digital Senior Sales Manager - Leading Ad Tech Business Ultimate Asset £40000 - £50000 per annum + 100% COMMISSION , London
- Brand Partnerships Sales Manager Ultimate Asset £30000 - £35000 per annum + excellent commission & benefits, London
- Agency Sales Manager - SPORT Ultimate Asset £30000 - £35000 per annum + competitive commission, London
- OgilvyOne loses BA business
- Iris and Cheil big winners at MAA Best Awards
- Campaign Viral Chart: Pepsi tops Coke with Jeff Gordon test drive
- Twitter attracts more ads, but rates tumble 67%
- Greenpeace protests outside Saatchi & Saatchi London office
- Facebook research finds 42% switch device mid-activity