Richard Desmond buys Five for £103.5m
Richard Desmond is now a player in the UK commercial television industry after signing a £103.5m deal to buy Five from European broadcaster RTL.
After a period of intense speculation, the deal was signed in the last hour and Desmond's Northern & Shell company is now the sole owner of Five.
The cash payment values Five at a twentieth of the current £2.1bn market capitalisation of ITV, which generated £1.9bn annual revenues last year - around seven times greater than Five's.
Gerhard Zeiler, chief executive of RTL Group, said: "With a significant recovery of the UK TV advertising market and Five performing well in the first half of 2010, we saw a window of opportunity to realise a transaction based on a fair evaluation of Five.
"The disposal is in line with RTL Group’s strategy of being number one or two in each of our markets. I would like to thank the whole team at Five and CEO & Chair Dawn Airey for their passion and professionalism, especially in the difficult past 20 months which saw a comprehensive restructuring of the company."
A spokesman for RTL said all members of Five’s staff, including chief executive Dawn Airey, are now employees of Desmond and Airey is not going to move to another role within RTL.
RTL’s bank JP Morgan has acted as exclusive financial adviser to the transaction.
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
- Mid Weight Planner - ATL Daniel Marks London £30-£50K + Excellent Benefits, Central London
- Marketing Manager, Wokingham, up to £45k Blue Skies Marketing Recruitment £40000 - £45000 per annum, Benefits: Great Benefits, Wokingham
- Account Manger - Marketing and Design Agency - Essex/Herts - £30k - NP072 Stonor £30k, West Essex
- Global Head of Investor Access Services EMR £80000 - £90000 per annum, City of London
- Social Media Executive, Luxury Travel, 6month FTC Blue Skies Marketing Recruitment £20000 - £23000 per annum, Benefits: excellent benefits, Surrey
- Kevin Bacon, Google Glass and Julian Assange: the SXSW weekend in tweets
- International Women's Day: "my gender is irrelevant" says Lisa Thomas
- Omnicom Media Group buys Mobile5
- BBH launches sport division with Lawrence Dallaglio
- IPA's 2014 Women of Tomorrow competition winners revealed
- HSBC launches Hong Kong Rugby Sevens push