UK adspend returns to double digit growth
By Katherine Levy, campaignlive.co.uk, Tuesday, 12 October 2010 09:15AM
The United Kingdom's advertising spend has recorded a double digit rise of 10.7% in the first half of 2010, according to Nielsen's latest Global AdView Pulse report.
Globally, adspend has increased by 12.8% in the first six months of 2010 when compared to the same period in 2009, with a combined spend of $238 billion (£150 billion).
According to the report, ad spend increased in 35 of the 37 countries included, with double digit increases in 26 of those.
The report stated: "Only recession-battered markets of the UAE (-5.8%) and Ireland (-3.2%) recorded negative ad spend in the first half of this year."
The results indicate continued growth from the first quarter of 2010 when global ad spend rose to 12.5%.
Michele Strazzera, deputy managing director of Nielsen Global AdView, said: "The latest Q2 numbers reflect similar growth trends that emerged in Q1 this year.
"According to rate-card figures, the global advertising industry continued to improve in Q2 with positive growth in all regions and across all media, led notably by the Asia Pacific market."
The report also observed that in Q2 there has been a global return to significant spend in discretionary ad categories such as automative and durables, which recorded increases of 20.7% and 17.3% respectively year on year.
Strazzera added: "Discretionary ad spend categories recorded the highest year-on-year increases, which is a leading indicator that advertisers and consumers are more confident to spend again."
FMCG brands continued to be the largest spenders in the first two quarters, with a 21.4% increase, ahead of automotive, financial services and durables.
Television, radio and newspaper adspend continues to rebound with 15.8%, 11% and 9.5% growth respectively. Magazine advertising also increased by 3.7% for the first half of 2010.
Europe had an 8% adspend increase for the first six months of 2010, led by double-digit increases in major regional markets including the UK (10.7%), Germany (9.6%), and France (11.6%).
In the first half of 2010, Latin America and the Middle East and Africa recorded the largest increases year-on-year, recording 44.5% and 23.8% respectively.
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
- Senior Digital Designer Twist Recruitment £35000 - £42000 per annum + benefits, City of London
- Head of CRM/Customer Experience - 8/9 month Contract ADLIB Competitive + Benefits, Devon
- Digital Executive - Fluent French & Dutch Barclay Meade £200 - £250 per day, Berkshire
- SEO Consultant The Little Black Book Agency £20000 - £25000 per annum, Greater Manchester
- Interactive / Digital Designer The Little Black Book Agency £25000 - £35000 per annum, Greater Manchester
- Samsung calls global advertising and media review
- Watch the first YouTube clip, nine years on
- British Airways moves paid search account to Forward3D
- M&C Saatchi's Enyi Nwosu takes global role at Mindshare
- Post Office reviews advertising, DM and digital accounts
- Karmarama grabs Coppafeel! breast cancer charity account