Media Awards 2010: Best Alcoholic Drinks Campaign
campaignlive.co.uk, Friday, 19 November 2010 12:00AM
Title: Diageo Gordon's & The Telegraph 'The Friday'
Duration period: August 2009-September 2009
Media agency: Carat
Media director: Anna Hickey
Account directors/media planners: Louise Wright, Jessica Evans, Greg
Creative agency: Telegraph Create
Creative directors: Beth Clutton, Caragh McKay
Account directors: Louise Wright, Jessica Evans, Greg Matthews
Account planner: n/s
Marketing director: Georgina Meddows-Smith
Media/brand manager: Alex Smith
People are staying in more, and tend to drink more wine and beer than spirits when they do so.
Gordon's wanted to boost its share of home-drinking, and Telegraph Create and Carat came up with the idea of a campaign showing how it is easy to make a good Gordon's gin and tonic at home. As research showed that people associated G&Ts with occasions rather than everyday drinking, the idea was to position Friday night as a celebration night - specifically, as Gordon's night.
A standalone Friday newspaper backed the idea, with 800,000 copies distributed with The Daily Telegraph on Fridays. A further 125,000 copies were handed out nationally. Online, a new channel was created for the Telegraph website with a "countdown to 5.30pm" clock and ideas of fun things to do on the weekend.
Retail sales of Gordon's were up by nearly 20 per cent during the campaign and half of the Friday paper's readers said it was more likely to make them drink Gordon's.
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
- Senior Digital Designer Twist Recruitment £35000 - £42000 per annum + benefits, City of London
- CRM Analyst EMR £50000 per annum + benefits, City of London
- Opportunity to join the Blue Skies Creative Team Blue Skies Marketing Recruitment £20000 - £40000 per annum, Benefits: Excellent bonus + benefits, Richmond upon Thames
- Category and Brand Manager EMR £65000 per annum + benefits, City of London
- Digital Designer 4 Innovative Charity Zebra People £22000 - £28000 per annum, City of London
- Group M wins Vodafone's £600m media account
- Google becomes major UK advertiser after boosting spend by 50% in 2013
- Campaign Viral Chart: Evian's Spider-Man tops chart in week of movie premiere
- M&S moves £60m media account to Mindshare
- Unilever pilots multi-brand advertising with YouTube beauty channel
- MEC boss Courtier hails £600m Vodafone media win as 'life changing'