Broadcasters back product placement awareness campaign
The UK's commercial broadcasters are joining forces to fund a major consumer advertising campaign to highlight that product placement will be allowed in UK programming from 28 February.
ITV Creative is creating a TV spot on behalf of all the commercial broadcasters, including Channel 4 and Sky, to be shown in ad breaks across a range of ITV, Channel 4, Sky and UKTV channels. It is unclear whether the campaign will run on Channel 5.
The move is in line with the product placement rules, published by the regulator Ofcom in December, that stated that commercial broadcasters intending to use product placement must run an audience awareness campaign introducing viewers to a new product placement logo.
Ofcom is set to unveil the logo, which will appear on screens before programmes with product placement in them, in mid-February. The awareness campaign is expected to follow later in February.
It is understood that the ad will to be shown during peak programming and is likely to run for two weeks.
An ITV spokesman said: "ITV is currently working closely with other UK commercial broadcasters and Ofcom on a campaign to raise awareness of product placement ahead of its introduction."
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
- Affiliates Executive - No. 1 Agency! GoodEgg Digital Circa £25k + Exceptional Benefits, Central London
- Digital Display Manager - Leading Agency GoodEgg Digital £Neg + Great Benefits, South East England / London (Central), London (Greater)
- Senior Marketing Director - 9-12 month FTC Comedy Central £competitive, Camden, London (Greater)
- Senior Designer Purple Consultancy £35000 - £40000 per annum, London
- Freelance Middleweight 3D Designer Purple Consultancy £180 - £220 per day, London
- Sorrell warns of Scotland becoming an 'outlier' and the UK 'diminished' by a Yes vote
- Sometimes collaboration, not innovation, can be the key to winning campaigns
- Virgin Trains spends £8 million on advertising to refocus on its brand
- WPP challenges Govt review
- Domino's Pizza launches TV ad for cheese and smokey bacon stuffed crust
- Hovis appoints Mother to ad account