Broadcasters back product placement awareness campaign
The UK's commercial broadcasters are joining forces to fund a major consumer advertising campaign to highlight that product placement will be allowed in UK programming from 28 February.
ITV Creative is creating a TV spot on behalf of all the commercial broadcasters, including Channel 4 and Sky, to be shown in ad breaks across a range of ITV, Channel 4, Sky and UKTV channels. It is unclear whether the campaign will run on Channel 5.
The move is in line with the product placement rules, published by the regulator Ofcom in December, that stated that commercial broadcasters intending to use product placement must run an audience awareness campaign introducing viewers to a new product placement logo.
Ofcom is set to unveil the logo, which will appear on screens before programmes with product placement in them, in mid-February. The awareness campaign is expected to follow later in February.
It is understood that the ad will to be shown during peak programming and is likely to run for two weeks.
An ITV spokesman said: "ITV is currently working closely with other UK commercial broadcasters and Ofcom on a campaign to raise awareness of product placement ahead of its introduction."
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
- Consumer Activation Controller Mast-Jaegermeister UK Limited Salary depending on experience. Additional bonus, pension, BUPA, life assurance, 25 days' holiday., Camberley, Surrey
- Creative Director - Digital Network Career Consultants £80000 - £100000 per annum, City of London
- Account Manager AF Selection £25,000 - £30,000, Greater Manchester
- Communications Assistant AF Selection £16,000 - £20,000, Birmingham, West Midlands
- Digital Account Manager - Brand Accounts!! Ultimate Asset £30000 - £35000 per annum + Benefits + Great Agency Culture, City of London
- ZenithOptimedia loses £200m O2 business to Havas Media without a pitch
- Doctor Who online game gets kids coding
- Philips launches juicer video campaign with Louis Smith
- Currys PC World launches brand campaign ahead of Christmas
- Argos releases second ad in its latest strategy
- A JWT tribute to its Oxo mum: Lynda Bellingham