Broadcasters back product placement awareness campaign
The UK's commercial broadcasters are joining forces to fund a major consumer advertising campaign to highlight that product placement will be allowed in UK programming from 28 February.
ITV Creative is creating a TV spot on behalf of all the commercial broadcasters, including Channel 4 and Sky, to be shown in ad breaks across a range of ITV, Channel 4, Sky and UKTV channels. It is unclear whether the campaign will run on Channel 5.
The move is in line with the product placement rules, published by the regulator Ofcom in December, that stated that commercial broadcasters intending to use product placement must run an audience awareness campaign introducing viewers to a new product placement logo.
Ofcom is set to unveil the logo, which will appear on screens before programmes with product placement in them, in mid-February. The awareness campaign is expected to follow later in February.
It is understood that the ad will to be shown during peak programming and is likely to run for two weeks.
An ITV spokesman said: "ITV is currently working closely with other UK commercial broadcasters and Ofcom on a campaign to raise awareness of product placement ahead of its introduction."
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
- Marketing Manager Fidelity Worldwide Investment Dependent on Experience, Surrey
- Graphic Designer / Art Director Creative Recruitment £30000 - £40000 per annum, London
- Senior Account Executive Blue Skies Marketing Recruitment £20000 - £23000 per annum, Warwickshire
- Senior Manager Customer Engagement - Sports Brand (Relocation) Ultimate Asset €70000 - €73000 per annum + Relocation package, Bavaria
- Digital Sales Account Director Ultimate Asset £43000 - £45000 per annum + 15-20k comms, London
- Tetley launches ad with Tea Folk in middle of medieval battle
- HSBC uses emotive ad to relaunch bank account on Christmas Day
- Virgin Holidays encourages customers to 'flaunt it' in Christmas Day ad
- 'Creative' RFI requests are getting out of control
- Top 10 most-viewed The Work
- Ocean Outdoor finds new owners in Searchlight Capital