My YouTube ad of the week: Andy Nairn, Dare
Campaign YouTube, Tuesday, 05 April 2011 09:15AM
Andy Nairn reviews Logitech
Andy Nairn, chief strategic officer, Dare
Why I like it
In a way, this is a traditional ad model, whereby a big-name celebrity talks direct to camera and endorses a potentially unfamiliar brand. The twist is that Kevin Bacon is not playing himself but one of his own, obsessed fans. This delicious conceit means that the sales message is extremely engaging, from start to finish.
Meanwhile, Logitech comes across as a brand that understands people and their passions, rather than as the cold technology player the name might suggest.
The YouTube version works particularly well. The extended
three-minute film includes a host of links from the objects in the crazed fan’s home to movie sites, eBay etc.
In short, it’s a campaign that combines a great core story with multiple sub-plots and lashings of earned media interest.
I wish I’d thought of
The overall idea makes me jealous. And in a world where technique often comes first, that’s refreshing. Getting Bacon to make fun of himself and his fans must have taken some persuading, so maximum respect to my old mates at Goodby, Silverstein & Partners.
This article was first published on Campaign YouTube
- Senior Digital Designer Twist Recruitment £35000 - £42000 per annum + benefits, City of London
- Project Manager / Account Manager Story Recruitment £30-38k dep on experience, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Business Director Direct Recruitment £80,000 + Bens, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Account Manager Direct Recruitment £28,000 - £32,000, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Account Director Direct Recruitment £45,000, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Samsung calls global advertising and media review
- Watch the first YouTube clip, nine years on
- British Airways moves paid search account to Forward3D
- M&C Saatchi's Enyi Nwosu takes global role at Mindshare
- Post Office reviews advertising, DM and digital accounts
- Yahoo hosts exclusive X-Men: Days of Future Past films