Protests to ASA over ads fall by 13%
By Matt Williams, campaignlive.co.uk, Thursday, 12 May 2011 10:27AM
The total number of complaints to the Advertising Standards Authority fell by 13% last year, with the number of campaigns subject to complaint also falling year-on-year by 6%.
The ASA received more than 25,000 complaints about 13,074 different ad campaigns in 2010, according to the organisation’s annual report.
Complaints from the public represented 96% of the complaints received, with those from industry accounting for the other 4%.
Of the ads subject to complaint, the ASA acted to change or withdraw 2,226 campaigns, including high-profile spots for Sony PlayStation, Reebok and BT.
Paddy Power’s TV ad depicting a blind footballer kicking a cat was the most complained about ad of last year. The ad, by Big Al’s Creative Emporium, attracted 1,313 complaints from viewers, the majority of whom argued that the spot was offensive to blind people and could encourage animal cruelty.
However the ASA did not uphold the complaint, stating that the ad was surreal and light-hearted in tone and was not likely to cause serious or widespread offence.
The issue of animal welfare was linked to almost 2,000 complaints made about ads in 2010. John Lewis’ Christmas ad by Adam & Eve attracted 316 complaints after it showed a dog living outside in a snow-covered kennel.
Again the ASA did not uphold the complaints, stating that the ad did not endorse or encourage animal cruelty or neglect.
|Top ten complained about ads in 2010|
|Paddy Power plc||1313 complaints||Not upheld|
|Marie Stopes Internaitonal||1088 complaints||Not upheld|
|Department of Energy and Climate Change||939 complaints||Upheld in part|
|Global Personals Ltd||420 complaints||Not upheld|
|John Lewis Partnership plc||216 complaints||Not upheld|
|HomePride Ltd||273 complaints||Not investigated (previously not upheld in 2009)|
|AG Barr plc||204 complaints||Not upheld|
|Cardell Media Ltd||185 complaints||Upheld|
|Unilever UK Ltd||154 complaints||Not upheld / referred to Ofcom|
|SSL International plc||151 complaints||Not upheld|
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
- Mid Weight Planner - ATL Daniel Marks London £30-£50K + Excellent Benefits, Central London
- Business Development Manager Pure360 £20,000 - £25,000 depending on experience. £45k OTE uncapped, Brighton
- Comms Planning Manager PFJ £30000.00 - £35000.00 per annum, London
- Marketing Partnerships Director PFJ £40000.00 - £45000.00 per annum, London
- Assistant Category Manager Jarlett de Grouchy £27000 - £30000 per annum + + Bonus + Benefits, London
- Cobra introduces bra-making brewer 'The Boss'
- Anti-slavery charity creates '12 Years a Slave' tactical ad after Oscar win
- Majority of 15m Twitter users in the UK follow a newspaper
- Hooch appoints More and MJ Media for Keith Lemon campaign
- Birds Eye kicks off £60m pan-Euro campaign
- OgilvyOne loses BA business