Diary: Web Witter
campaignlive.co.uk, Friday, 10 June 2011 12:00AM
On Cadbury pulling a press ad, by Fallon, for its Bliss chocolate bar after Naomi Campbell suggested it was an openly racist attack against her (from Campaignlive).
Caroline Broquere Lartigue
I fail to see how an ad that promotes milk chocolate (not even dark chocolate) could be deemed racist. I would be less surprised if Naomi had failed to see the funny side of the campaign and complained about the association of her name with "diva".
Is Campbell's Soup preparing its defence when she goes after them for its "Chunky Classic Chicken Noodle"?
Laughable, really. She is instigating racist tension over nothing. The Milky Bar Kid will be suing next.
The supermodel's mother, Valerie Campbell, said: "I'm deeply upset by this racist ad. Do these people think they can insult black people and we just take it? This is the 21st century, not the 50s. Shame on Cadbury." No. They think they can sell some chocolate by poking a little fun at the, well-documented, personality traits your daughter has shown for years. Apple. Far. Tree.
Would have been nice for Cadbury to say "No, stop being so absurd" and continue running it. Rubbish like this from Campbell makes it harder for real racism to be taken seriously.
What a jackass. Toys out of the pram again, and playing the race card. It's pathetic behaviour like this that makes her such a target for parody by creatives and comedians alike.
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
- Artworker Fashion & Retail Personnel Consultancy £23000 - £25000 per annum + Outstanding Benefits!, London
- Account Director Â– Digital Sales Promotions Blue Skies Marketing Recruitment £40000 - £45000 per annum, Benefits: See below - GREAT package, West London
- Data Planner Direct Recruitment £35k+bens, London
- Affiliate Marketing Executive Brand Recruitment £26000 per annum, Letchworth Garden City
- Data Planner Direct Recruitment £50k+bens, London