Publicis swoops on biggest social media agency in US
By Daniel Farey-Jones, campaignlive.co.uk, Monday, 18 July 2011 09:34AM
Publicis Groupe has acquired a majority stake in Big Fuel, a pure-play social media agency that employs more than 170 staff in New York, for an undisclosed sum.
The deal gives the French advertising group the option to buy the whole of the agency from 2014.
Big Fuel's 2011 revenues are expected to reach nearly $30m, which is a five-fold increase year on year.
The agency will sit within Publicis Groupe's VivaKi organisation and will report to Laura Lang, global CEO of Digitas and a member of the VivaKi board of directors.
The chief executive of Big Fuel since January 2011 is Jon Bond, one of the founders of New York ad agency Kirschenbaum Bond Senecal & Partners.
Bond runs Big Fuel in partnership with Avi Savar, founding partner and chief creative officer, and Mike McGraw, managing partner and chief operating officer.
Lang said: "Big Fuel is a dynamic social media agency with a scalable model that encompasses social tools, process, a content studio and a distribution network. As a result, it will extend the creative and content resourcing of Digitas and Razorfish."
It is unclear how much Publicis has spent to acquire the stake.
Publicis Groupe chief executive Maurice Levy told Bloomberg in June its M&A budget for 2011 had been bumped up to nearly $1bn, from $700m. In May, it agreed a $575m deal to buy US digital agency Rosetta and has made four transactions in Brazil this year.
It is understood there are no plans to expand Big Fuel to the UK in the near future.
Big Fuel was recently appointed social media agency of record for T-Mobile USA, a Publicis USA client, and is the social media agency of record for General Motors, a major Publicis Groupe client.
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
- Mid Weight Planner - ATL Daniel Marks London £30-£50K + Excellent Benefits, Central London
- User Experience Researcher Salt £350 - £400 per day, City of London
- Senior Marketing Manager Nigel Wright Recruitment £55000 Per Annum Competitive + car, bonus and benefits, East Midlands
- Senior Designer / Trafficker become £40-45K, Central London
- Creative Designer STI Group Salary will be commensurate with age and experience, Gillinghham
- Twitter attracts more ads, but rates tumble 67%
- Kevin Bacon, Google Glass and Julian Assange: the SXSW weekend in tweets
- International Women's Day: "my gender is irrelevant" says Lisa Thomas
- Omnicom Media Group buys Mobile5
- Starcom MediaVest wins spice brand's multi-million euro account
- BBH launches sport division with Lawrence Dallaglio