Linear commercial TV viewing reaches new high
The average amount of time spent watching linear commercial TV reached a new record in the first six months of 2011, although the increases in total TV viewing appear to be slowing.
According to figures from the Broadcasters' Audience Research Board (Barb,) the average person watched a total of 28 hours, 21 minutes of linear TV every week, equivalent to four hours, three minutes a day.
The average TV viewer watched 18 hours and nine minutes of commercial linear TV every week, or two hours and 35 minutes a day during the first six months of 2011. This is an increase of 48 minutes a week, or seven minutes a day, from the same period in 2010.
Commercial TV accounted for 64% of viewing during the first six months of the year, up from 62% in the same period in 2010, while commercial impacts climbed 4.7% year on year to an average of 47 ads a day in the first half of 2011.
Lindsey Clay, managing director of commercial TV marketing body Thinkbox, said: "We've been saying for a while that linear TV viewing couldn’t keep breaking records forever and that it had to stabilise at some point.
"It appears that this is now happening – although, within this, commercial TV is still growing a little, which is great news for advertisers and a testament to the choice and quality it offer."
The Barb figures reveal time-shifted viewing is on the increase. Non-live, time-shifted viewing accounted for 9% of TV consumption from 1 January to the end of June 2011, up from 7.1% in the first six months of 2010.
Of those households that have a digital TV recorder, such as Sky+ or Freeview+, time-shifted viewing accounted for 14.7% of total viewing in the six months to 30 June 2011 – up from 13.7% in the first six months of 2010.
Clay said: "What is clear is that every new technology that joins TV – from connected TV sets to social media – is making it even more enjoyable for viewers and even more effective for advertisers."
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
- Artworker Fashion & Retail Personnel Consultancy £23000 - £25000 per annum + Outstanding Benefits!, London
- European Brand Manager Ball & Hoolahan £40,000 per annum, South East
- Marketing & Research Manager - $1.8b Global Publisher Recruitment Revolution Excellent Salary + Bonus Potential + Full Corporate Benefits Package, Chichester
- CRM Manager - Iconic London Brand Tarsh Lazare Marketing Recruitment £40K-£60K + Benefits Package, Central London
- Senior Marketing & New Business Manager Dynamic New Alliances £32000.00 - £45000.00 per annum + Benefits, City of London