My YouTube ad of the week: Andy Nairn, Dare
Campaign YouTube, Friday, 19 August 2011 05:05PM
Andy Nairn reviews K-Swiss
Andy Nairn, chief strategy officer, Dare
Why I like this
From the very beginning of the main film, Kenny Powers stakes out his claim to be the most fabulously obnoxious advertising frontman since the Blackcurrant Tango executive. Like that legendary character, he exudes confidence and charisma and, in turn, presents K-Swiss as a brand that knows its audience and what turns them on.
Admittedly, this turns out to involve a lot of sex and violence. Plus more swearing than the rest of the world's annual advertising output. But the crudity is brilliantly crafted. The characterisation of Powers has obviously been thought through in great detail; the script is beautifully paced, so that there are belly laughs (OK, sometimes breast-laughs) in every scene; and the performances are all superb.
Wish I'd thought of
I love the entire conceit of a foul-mouthed megalomaniac buying the company. But what really makes me envious is the way the team has pushed this idea to the nth degree. This is a timely reminder that it's often the executional details that take an idea from good to great.
This article was first published on Campaign YouTube
- Senior Digital Designer Twist Recruitment £35000 - £42000 per annum + benefits, City of London
- Marketing Manager - Inbound Tourism - Dubai Based MCG Associates Tax Free Competitive Package, Dubai, UAE
- Senior Account Manager - Saudi Arabia - PR MCG Associates Tax Free Package, Riyadh. KSA
- Digital Advertising Manager - High End Lifestyle Ultimate Asset £43000 - £50000 per annum + commission & excellent benefits, London
- Media Exec - Leading Media Agency - Mobile Sector Ultimate Asset £22000 - £26000 per annum + Amazing Benefits, London
- Google becomes major UK advertiser after boosting spend by 50% in 2013
- Unilever pilots multi-brand advertising with YouTube beauty channel
- Sorrell says Publicis / Omnicom's 'merger of equals' is 'impossible'
- Gatwick rolls out 'guess the X-ray' competition
- iProspect appoints chief media officer among four senior hires
- Dove launches first cinema campaign with 'real beauty' sequel