My YouTube ad of the week: James Hilton, AKQA
Campaign YouTube, Friday, 02 September 2011 03:48PM
James Hilton reviews classic fail
James Hilton, chief creative officer, AKQA
Why I like this
"Wins" and "fails" are well up there with my most favourite things ever. But if I had to choose, fails are funnier. Until, that is, it’s your fail.
When I was 17 (very pre-YouTube), I had to go to the hospital to pick up my mate Rob, who had been in a six-month-traction-inducing motorbike accident. I had volunteered to bring him home. Mum let me borrow her Mini 25 and told me "not to damage it". I laughed. I said "yeah, yeah". I left.
My timing was military; Rob was wheeled out, eased into the Mini and, faster than you can say "impending disaster", taken home. Ish. It was January. It was icy. I failed to make the connection between me, Rob, the Cure album Disintegration, 30mph and the man standing beside the road holding a sign saying "ICE". The car in front braked. So did I. The Mini thought otherwise and spun across four lanes.
Rob screamed. I screamed. The man holding the sign saying "ICE" screamed. The occupants of the six cars we pirouetted around screamed. Four 360s. Missing everything. And stopping by the curb, on the opposite carriageway, pointing the right way. I thought "win". Rob thought "fail". But probably after he’d thrown up first.
This article was first published on Campaign YouTube
- Artworker Fashion & Retail Personnel Consultancy £23000 - £25000 per annum + Outstanding Benefits!, London
- Insight Analyst - FMCG Company NG Digital Marketing up to £30k + bens, Greater London
- Social Media Manager Pitch Consultants £33000 - £40000 per annum + excellent benefits, West Midlands
- Digital Strategy Director Lipton Fleming £75000.00 - £80000.00 per annum, London
- Digital Account Executive AF Selection £18,000 - £20,000 + Benefits, Manchester