IPA's Mendelsohn calls on ad industry to develop young talent
By Ian Darby, campaignlive.co.uk, Thursday, 08 September 2011 09:00PM
Nicola Mendelsohn, the president of the IPA, has called on the advertising industry to work more closely with higher and further education to develop fresh talent.
Mendelsohn, speaking tonight at the Ravensbourne Skillset Media Academy in London, launched the IPA report Creative Pioneers – the Future of Skills, Talent and Connections and a range of programmes designed to attract a broader mix of graduates into the advertising business.
The initiatives include the IPA Talent Pool, a tool to help graduates from non-traditional disciplines join the industry; a partnership with the Academy of Marketing to create an educational foundation; lobbying with entertainment trade body UKIE on introducing computer coding into the school curriculum and the development of IPA apprenticeships in partnership with five media academies.
Mendelsohn, the executive chairman at Karmarama, said: "Attracting the right mix of graduates and new talent is key to the growth of the ad industry in this fast changing digital marketplace, and for stimulating the UK economy as a whole."
Senior agency staff, IPA partners and new recruits to the industry attended the IPA event. Andy Fennell, the chief marketing officer at Diageo, also spoke. He said: "The golden era for creative industries is ahead, not behind us, but if London agencies are to enjoy their fair share and not lose out to the emerging markets, immediate intervention is necessary."
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
- Artworker Fashion & Retail Personnel Consultancy £23000 - £25000 per annum + Outstanding Benefits!, London
- Producer - Commercial Projects Premier Media Up to £35,000, London
- Quantitative Researchers Lipton Fleming £20000 - £70000 per annum + benefits, London
- Qualitative Researchers Lipton Fleming £20000 - £75000 per annum + Benefits, London
- Audience Insight Executive - Publishing Lipton Fleming £25000 per annum + benefits, London
- Campaign Viral Chart: Amazon's drones topple van Damme
- Shazam reveals most tagged ads of 2013
- Ogilvy poaches McDonald's creative director for Unilever role
- VCCP, MediaCom, Lida and SapientNitro among Campaign's Agencies of 2013
- More evidence of strong TV spend in second half of 2013
- New year's resolution: learn to code in 2014