My YouTube ad of the week: Kristof Fahy, William Hill
Campaign YouTube, Monday, 26 September 2011 10:21AM
Kristof Fahy reviews Nissan Brazil
Kristof Fahy, chief marketing officer, William Hill
Why I like this
What a brilliantly random ad this is.
It conforms to every good 4WD ad stereotype – muddy paths, a brilliantly pointless shot of a switch being moved from one setting to another. Not only that but a simple gag on ponies and horsepower. All good stuff and utterly predictable.
Then the truck gets stuck, the driver curses the damn ponies (get it?) and the bonnet opens. We enter a My Little Pony-style world with a highly irritating (but weirdly hypnotic) song that manages to get the point across that the driver really does have a rubbish truck. And the Nissan has horsepower, not puny ponypower.
Then we get back to the truck ad and it ends.
But it doesn’t. Because back comes a pony – it’s nice for a minute and then turns "nasty", telling the viewer to pass it on or the tune will stay in their head forever. Yes, that’s not the most interesting thing to say, but it got me.
Wish I’d thought of
What I like is the fact that it has what you’d expect in a truck ad – but it just has two brilliant touches, which lift this ad from ordinary to intriguing.
This article was first published on Campaign YouTube
- Artworker Fashion & Retail Personnel Consultancy £23000 - £25000 per annum + Outstanding Benefits!, London
- European Brand Manager Ball & Hoolahan £40,000 per annum, South East
- Marketing & Research Manager - $1.8b Global Publisher Recruitment Revolution Excellent Salary + Bonus Potential + Full Corporate Benefits Package, Chichester
- CRM Manager - Iconic London Brand Tarsh Lazare Marketing Recruitment £40K-£60K + Benefits Package, Central London
- Senior Marketing & New Business Manager Dynamic New Alliances £32000.00 - £45000.00 per annum + Benefits, City of London