McCann moves to acquire Meteorite
By Sara Kimberley, campaignlive.co.uk, Thursday, 29 September 2011 10:30AM
McCann Worldgroup is understood to be in talks with the independent direct marketing agency Meteorite over a deal to merge the agency with its MRM London shop.
Agency sources suggested that the deal could be completed as early as next week and is likely to lead to the creation of an agency led by a combination of MRM and Meteorite management.
Mike Cornwell, the chief executive of MRM London, Meteorite's chairman, Hugh Bishop, and its managing director, Debbie Smith, are all expected to have senior roles.
The client lists of the agencies seem complementary, with MRM handling accounts including General Motors, BSkyB and Johnson & Johnson. Meteorite, which has strong digital and social media credentials, works for the likes of Breakthrough Breast Cancer, Homebase and Costa Coffee.
Meteorite was founded 12 years ago and employs around 70 staff. Before launching the agency, Bishop held senior marketing positions at Levi's and Burton Group, while Smith was the managing director of WPP's integrated agency PCG.
The negotiations are the latest indication of an aggressive acquisition drive by McCann Worldgroup. Last month, it acquired the interactive design agency AllofUs, which retained its name but now sits within the McCann London building.
Meteorite and McCann Worldgroup declined to comment.
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
- Mid Weight Planner - ATL Daniel Marks London £30-£50K + Excellent Benefits, Central London
- Interactive Digital Designer: (Mobile, Tablet, Web, Smartphone) Creative Recruitment £28000 - £33000 per annum + Negotiable, London
- Digital Designer & Content Manager (Website, Rich Media) Creative Recruitment £33000 - £38000 per annum, London
- Senior Optimisation Manager (RTB) Digital Gurus £25000 - £42000 per annum, London
- Senior Category Manager - Tesco Jarlett de Grouchy £55000 - £60000 per annum + Car Allowance + Benefits, Weybridge
- Kevin Bacon, Google Glass and Julian Assange: the SXSW weekend in tweets
- International Women's Day: "my gender is irrelevant" says Lisa Thomas
- Omnicom Media Group buys Mobile5
- BBH launches sport division with Lawrence Dallaglio
- IPA's 2014 Women of Tomorrow competition winners revealed
- HSBC launches Hong Kong Rugby Sevens push