Tories give up party political broadcast slot for East Africa
The Conservative party will become the first political party to give up a party political broadcast slot for a charity, when it airs a special film this evening to raise awareness of the drought in East Africa.
As part of the party conference season, all three major parties are given a slot to air a party political broadcast and a spokesman for the Conservatives said this was the first time a political party had chosen not to use the slot for a political message.
The film, made by independent Soho-based agency Taylor Made Media, satirises what political parties usually say during party political broadcasts, and then prompts people to donate to the East Africa Appeal.
Sayeeda Warsi, co-chairman of the Conservative Party, said: "East Africa is experiencing its worst drought in 60 years and urgent aid is needed. We wanted to use our party political broadcast to highlight this devastating crisis and call on the British public to give their support."
The film stars Conservatives such as Prime Minister David Cameron, culture secretary Jeremy Hunt, and back bencher Louise Mensch. It will air tonight at 5.55pm on BBC Two, 6.50pm on ITV1 and 6.55pm on BBC One.
The film was directed by Taylor Made Media founder Sophie Taylor, and the director of photography was Mark Hammond.
Taylor Made Media is a corporate video production company comprised of former TV broadcasters and has made films for brands such as Marmite, Smirnoff, Western Union, McDonald's, Slimming World and Specsavers.
Taylor said: "We were thrilled to be asked to make a film for such an important cause and hope it raises awareness and funds for the East Africa Appeal."
Follow Maisie McCabe on Twitter @MaisieMcCabe
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
- Artworker Fashion & Retail Personnel Consultancy £23000 - £25000 per annum + Outstanding Benefits!, London
- Talented Mixed Methodology Researchers- Boutique Innovative Consultancy Elizabeth Norman International £27000 - £40000 Per Annum, London
- Digital Strategy Director with Global Media Network Gemini Search £75000 - £90000 per annum + Benefits, City of London
- Account Executive/Junior Account Executive fishtank £17000 - £22000 per annum, Surrey
- PR Account Director, B2B, German Speaking, London Blue Skies Marketing Recruitment £45000 - £50000 per annum, London