ITV picks Bignell as sales director
By Maisie McCabe, campaignlive.co.uk, Thursday, 27 October 2011 11:30AM
The broadcaster is also planning to launch new ad formats.
Steve Bignell, the chief operating officer at the WPP media agency MediaCom, has been appointed to the position of sales director at ITV.
Bignell will work with fellow sales director Mark Trinder and will have responsibility for multi-platform sales including online and sponsorship. He will report to the group commercial sales director, Simon Daglish.
Bignell joined MediaCom in 2006, became the joint head of investment in 2009 and then the chief operating officer this year. In his 18 years in media, he has also worked at Mindshare, ZenithOptimedia and MediaVest.
His appointment coincides with the creation of three new ad formats by ITV for its ITV Player, which allow brands to combine brand-building messages with calls to action.
From next year, advertisers will be able to add interactive-rich media such as links to ads on the ITV Player. The other formats are "save for later", which will enable viewers to save ads in a "digital wallet" to revisit at a later stage, and "ad play", which will allow viewers to skip ads if they can correctly answer a question on their brand message.
Gary Knight, the commercial content director at ITV, said: "It's difficult to work out how to connect everyone across platform. We wanted to create a set of assets that combine TV and sales promotion to bring these two areas of marketing together."
MediaCom has not disclosed whether Bignell's role will be directly replaced. Karen Blackett, chief executive at MediaCom, said: "Steve has been a valued member of the MediaCom team for the last six years, but has decided to return to his investment roots and go back to a TV role.
"Steve will still remain at the agency until March next year, and knowing Steve will be as diligent as ever".
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
- Senior Digital Designer Twist Recruitment £35000 - £42000 per annum + benefits, City of London
- Senior Marketing Executive Adam Recruitment £28000 - £32000 per annum, Birmingham
- Creative Artworker Blue Skies Marketing Recruitment £25000 - £30000 per annum, Northamptonshire
- Account Director - Retail to £50k Network Career Consultants £45000 - £50000 per annum, London
- Mid-Senior Print Designer | Contract | London Salt £200 - £300 per day, City of London
- Google becomes major UK advertiser after boosting spend by 50% in 2013
- Unilever pilots multi-brand advertising with YouTube beauty channel
- MEC boss Courtier hails £600m Vodafone media win as 'life changing'
- Partners Andrews Aldridge restructures creative with hires and promotions
- Sorrell says Publicis / Omnicom's 'merger of equals' is 'impossible'
- Gatwick rolls out 'guess the X-ray' competition