ITV picks Bignell as sales director
By Maisie McCabe, campaignlive.co.uk, Thursday, 27 October 2011 11:30AM
The broadcaster is also planning to launch new ad formats.
Steve Bignell, the chief operating officer at the WPP media agency MediaCom, has been appointed to the position of sales director at ITV.
Bignell will work with fellow sales director Mark Trinder and will have responsibility for multi-platform sales including online and sponsorship. He will report to the group commercial sales director, Simon Daglish.
Bignell joined MediaCom in 2006, became the joint head of investment in 2009 and then the chief operating officer this year. In his 18 years in media, he has also worked at Mindshare, ZenithOptimedia and MediaVest.
His appointment coincides with the creation of three new ad formats by ITV for its ITV Player, which allow brands to combine brand-building messages with calls to action.
From next year, advertisers will be able to add interactive-rich media such as links to ads on the ITV Player. The other formats are "save for later", which will enable viewers to save ads in a "digital wallet" to revisit at a later stage, and "ad play", which will allow viewers to skip ads if they can correctly answer a question on their brand message.
Gary Knight, the commercial content director at ITV, said: "It's difficult to work out how to connect everyone across platform. We wanted to create a set of assets that combine TV and sales promotion to bring these two areas of marketing together."
MediaCom has not disclosed whether Bignell's role will be directly replaced. Karen Blackett, chief executive at MediaCom, said: "Steve has been a valued member of the MediaCom team for the last six years, but has decided to return to his investment roots and go back to a TV role.
"Steve will still remain at the agency until March next year, and knowing Steve will be as diligent as ever".
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
- Mid Weight Planner - ATL Daniel Marks London £30-£50K + Excellent Benefits, Central London
- Category Manager Ball & Hoolahan £50,000 + CA + benefits, South East
- Marketing Coordinator Brand Recruitment £20000 per annum, Yaxley
- Senior Strategist - Innovation, Insight and Strategy Bamboo Crowd £35,000 - £50,000, Central London
- Design Director Aquent £80k + benefits , Central London
- OgilvyOne loses BA business
- Campaign Viral Chart: Pepsi tops Coke with Jeff Gordon test drive
- Iris and Cheil big winners at MAA Best Awards
- Twitter attracts more ads, but rates tumble 67%
- Greenpeace protests outside Saatchi & Saatchi London office
- Facebook research finds 42% switch device mid-activity