My YouTube ad of the week: Sushma Sagar, Banana Republic
Campaign YouTube, Tuesday, 01 November 2011 10:02AM
Sushma Sagar reviews Foo Fighters
Sushma Sagar, senior brand manager, Banana Republic
Why I like this
When Campaign invited me to be their new columnist, I was secretly quite pleased that my professional musings on serious marketing videos were being sought. So imagine my surprise when the link 'Hot Buns' appeared in my inbox.
I did not expect my first assignment to be reviewing a homoerotic shower scene.... but the fact that it was the Foo Fighters soaping each other in a post-modern, ironic send-up, made it ok.
The Foos have a special place in my heart as we used to dress them when I worked for Ben Sherman. I've seen them play many times and though their full-on rock can be daunting to the uninitiated, they are entertainers as well as musicians and win you over with their own brand of silliness.
This particular viral is the latest offering to publicise an up and coming tour. Dave Grohl was inspired by the American cross-country truckers, who spend their lives on the road, eating in diners and using the shower facilities enroute.
Obviously the gag is centred around the mean-looking, tattooed, long-haired truckers prancing about butt naked to Freddy Mercury. Interestingly though, the amusing juxtaposition is not dissimilar to that of the Foo Fighters - they may be serious, stadium, rock-monsters, but they love any opportunity to camp it up and take the mick.
Mock gay-porn was a natural progression.
Wish I had thought of
This viral is a hilarious vehicle to get the tour message out whilst giving the fans a giggle (and an eyeful.) The tour is big, the idea is clever and the execution downright ridiculous. Grilled wiener anyone?
This article was first published on Campaign YouTube
- Senior Digital Designer Twist Recruitment £35000 - £42000 per annum + benefits, City of London
- Media Business Director PFJ £70000.00 - £90000 per annum, London
- PERFORMANCE PLANNING DIRECTOR - MOBILE BRAND! Ultimate Asset £45000 - £60000 per annum + Benefits, London
- Mid Weight Graphic Designer - Consumer agency JEFFERSON £28-35k plus benefits, SE Surrey
- Category Insight Manager - 12 mths contract Tarsh Lazare Marketing Recruitment c.£50K-£56K + Benefits + Generous Bonus, Herts/North of London
- Evian baby Spider-Man 'rescues' fans with Twitter answers
- Three's pony and cats with thumbs top the cute Easter ad chart
- McCann wins Qatar Financial Centre brief
- CEO Gail Gallie departs Fallon
- Samsung calls global advertising and media review
- Ex-M&S marketing chief Steven Sharp is consulting for WPP