My YouTube ad of the week: David Prideaux, Publicis Chemistry
Campaign YouTube, Friday, 18 November 2011 04:43PM
David Prideaux reviews Dermablend
David Prideaux, executive creative director, Publicis Chemistry
Why I like this
Of course, the clever bit is that he’s not some bloke; he’s Zombie Boy, aka the Canadian model Rick Genest – darling of the catwalk and the co-star of the Lady Gaga Born This Way promo. Which is why this (overlong) film has had four million views and 18,084 "likes" in under a month. Not to mention 2,726 comments, either from blokes who want to be like him ("Great video. Great guy. Big inspiration") or girls who want to be with him ("When. He. Licks. His. Bottom. Lip. Owwwwww God"). If you click through, there’s even a debate raging about real beauty ("Isn’t the underlying message that he was beautiful before they put the make-up on him?").
No-one actually says the words: "Oh my gosh, what an incredibly clever strategy for Dermablend Professional. At a stroke, it has put the brand at the centre of the music and fashion zeitgeist and engaged the entire global teenage audience – I mean, if it can handle that guy’s tatts, a few zits won’t be much of a problem. I bet Max Factor and Boots No7 are quaking in their boots!"
But I’m sure they were thinking it.
This article was first published on Campaign YouTube
- Senior Digital Designer Twist Recruitment £35000 - £42000 per annum + benefits, City of London
- Head of CRM/Customer Experience - 8/9 month Contract ADLIB Competitive + Benefits, Devon
- Digital Executive - Fluent French & Dutch Barclay Meade £200 - £250 per day, Berkshire
- SEO Consultant The Little Black Book Agency £20000 - £25000 per annum, Greater Manchester
- Interactive / Digital Designer The Little Black Book Agency £25000 - £35000 per annum, Greater Manchester
- Samsung calls global advertising and media review
- Watch the first YouTube clip, nine years on
- British Airways moves paid search account to Forward3D
- M&C Saatchi's Enyi Nwosu takes global role at Mindshare
- Post Office reviews advertising, DM and digital accounts
- Karmarama grabs Coppafeel! breast cancer charity account