Comet calls £17m advertising pitch
By Matt Williams, campaignlive.co.uk, Thursday, 08 December 2011 08:00AM
Comet, the electrical retailer that was acquired last month by a private equity company, has called a review of its £17 million advertising account as it looks at new ways to revive its business fortunes.
The retailer has approached a number of advertising agencies as it bids to develop a new brand positioning.
A pitch will be held just after Christmas, with an appointment made soon after.
The successful agency will then immediately start work on a new brand campaign, which Comet intends to launch in the spring.
Euro RSCG London has been the incumbent on Comet’s advertising since February 2010 and the agency will repitch for the account.
It had launched a brand campaign that introduced the "come and play" positioning. The campaign included a series of TV ads that showed Comet employees devising new uses for various goods.
According to Nielsen, Comet spent £17 million on advertising in the 12 months leading up to the third quarter of this year.
However, the company has recently experienced a turbulent period in which revenues plunged by 22 per cent.
Last month, Comet’s owner, Kesa, was forced to sell the brand to two companies backed by OpCapita for £2. The buyers, Hailey Holdings and Hailey Acquisitions, have promised to keep Comet as a going concern for the next 18 months, although they could close some of its 250 stores.
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
- MIDWEIGHT DESIGNER - award winning global agency! Live Recruitment £30000 - £35000 per annum, City of London
- Senior Insight Manager, Clientside Hasson Associates £50,000 - £55,000, Central London
- Senior Account Manager - Integrated Spectrum 360 Recruitment £30k - £40k, London, Soho
- Copywriter (fixed term contract) become £35-45, London
- Design Director (FMCG) become £55-65K, Central London
- ITV confirms major shake-up of Daybreak
- Man Utd teams with Google for pitch-side digital competition
- Campaign Viral Chart: Edeka's 'supergeil' ad leads viral hat-trick for German retailer
- EE launches viral homage Gold Spot campaign
- Anti-slavery charity creates '12 Years a Slave' tactical ad after Oscar win
- Cobra introduces bra-making brewer 'The Boss'