My YouTube ad of the week: David Prideaux, Publicis Chemistry
Campaign YouTube, Thursday, 26 January 2012 11:32AM
David Prideaux reviews LG
David Prideaux, executive creative director, Publicis Chemistry
Why I like it
It’s a TV commercial that wouldn’t have worked on TV.
In a commercial break, we’re not taken in by CCTV if we’re watching an ad, as we know the footage has been staged. Online, we’re more likely to suspend our disbelief.
Then there’s the clever use of sound – there isn’t any. This also makes it appear real. On TV, you’d probably be forced to put some kind of soundtrack on it.
Next, the length. This is 60 seconds, which means there’s enough time to be intrigued. Any shorter – how many clients would give a film like this more than 40 seconds? – and it wouldn’t build up enough suspense.
And, finally, it wouldn’t work on TV because I suspect Clearcast wouldn’t allow you to run it. I might be wrong but, after last summer, I suspect any ad that makes shoplifting look cool will get fairly short shrift.
I wish I’d thought of
I guess the only criticism you could level at this is there’s no connectivity. But three million views and a film that demands – and enables – repeat viewing more than compensates for this.
This article was first published on Campaign YouTube
- Senior Digital Designer Twist Recruitment £35000 - £42000 per annum + benefits, City of London
- In-House Graphic Designer Major Players £30000 - £40000 per annum, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Group Insight Director, Technology & Financial Jarlett de Grouchy £65000.00 - £80000.00 per annum + bonus, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Commercial Head of Branded Content-Established Digital Business Ultimate Asset £65000 - £76000 per annum + bonus and huge benefits , London (Central), London (Greater)
- Senior Sales Executive - Performance & Brand - Emerging Tech Ultimate Asset £40000 - £50000 per annum + commission & excellent benefits, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Samsung calls global advertising and media review
- British Airways moves paid search account to Forward3D
- Watch the first YouTube clip, nine years on
- M&C Saatchi's Enyi Nwosu takes global role at Mindshare
- Post Office reviews advertising, DM and digital accounts
- Karmarama grabs Coppafeel! breast cancer charity account