Advertising watchdog to investigate Snickers Twitter campaign
The Advertising Standards Authority (ASA) has launched an investigation into Snickers' innovative Twitter campaign following confusion surrounding the commercial nature of the activity.
The ASA received two complaints about tweets from glamour model Katie Price and footballer Rio Ferdinand, which formed part of promotional activity for Snickers owner Mars this week.
A spokesperson for the advertising watchdog confirmed the campaign by Abbott Mead Vickers BBDO is being investigated against two possible breaches of the Advertising Code: whether it should have been stated in the ‘teaser’ tweets that they were marketing communications; and whether the hashtag "#spon" in the final ‘reveal’ tweet made it clear enough that that tweet was a marketing communication.
Can’t wait 2 get home from training and finish that cardigan— Rio Ferdinand (@rioferdy5) January 24, 2012
Both complaints were said to have come from members of the public
Last weekend, Price tweeted from her @MissKatiePrice account, which has around 1.5 million followers, about the Eurozone debt problems and China's GDP rating, before revealing that she hadn't been herself because she was too hungry.
She tweeted: "Great news about China's latest GDP figures!!", "Chinese leaders now likely to loosen monetary policy to stimulate growth. Yay!!", "OMG!! Eurozone debt problems can only be properly solved by true fiscal union!!! #comonguys", and "Large scale quantitative easing in 2012 could distort liquidity of govt. bond market. #justsayin".
Large scale quantitative easing in 2012 could distort liquidity of govt. bond market. #justsayin
— Katie Price/Jordan (@MissKatiePrice) January 22, 2012
Price then tweeted the Snickers strapline, "You're not you when you're hungry @snickersUK #hungry #spon" and a picture of her holding a Snickers bar.
Boxer Amir Khan (@AmirKingKhan), cricketer Sir Ian Botham (@BeefyBotham) and singer Cher Lloyd (@CherlyLloyd) have also been involved in the campaign.
The ASA expects to reach a decision within "a few weeks".
Follow Arif Durrani on Twitter: @DurraniMix
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
- Mid Weight Planner - ATL Daniel Marks London £30-£50K + Excellent Benefits, Central London
- Marketing Manager, Wokingham, up to £45k Blue Skies Marketing Recruitment £40000 - £45000 per annum, Benefits: Great Benefits, Wokingham
- Account Manger - Marketing and Design Agency - Essex/Herts - £30k - NP072 Stonor £30k, West Essex
- Global Head of Investor Access Services EMR £80000 - £90000 per annum, City of London
- Social Media Executive, Luxury Travel, 6month FTC Blue Skies Marketing Recruitment £20000 - £23000 per annum, Benefits: excellent benefits, Surrey
- Kevin Bacon, Google Glass and Julian Assange: the SXSW weekend in tweets
- International Women's Day: "my gender is irrelevant" says Lisa Thomas
- Omnicom Media Group buys Mobile5
- BBH launches sport division with Lawrence Dallaglio
- IPA's 2014 Women of Tomorrow competition winners revealed
- HSBC launches Hong Kong Rugby Sevens push