My YouTube ad of the week: Sushma Sagar, Banana Republic
Campaign YouTube, Friday, 10 February 2012 04:33PM
Sushma Sagar reviews Nike
Sushma Sagar, senior brand manager, Banana Republic
Why I like this
The premise of the ad is to position Nike's new Kobe trainers as the footwear choice for super successful people. The charismatic basketball legend Kobe Bryant appears in the ad like a messiah, lecturing a room full of stars on how to be even more outstanding and extraordinary than they already are. "What happens when you want to go further than the top?" Well, apparently you listen to Bryant and wear Kobe trainers. I like the tone and use of Illuminati-style symbolism. This is clearly tongue-in-cheek but, judging by the online comments, the joke went over the heads of some, who genuinely think that Nike is part of the New World Order.
Wish I had thought of
When money is no object, you can create an ad such as this. A plethora of superstar cameos who are willing to promote your brand is notable in itself, but more impressive to me is that they have been used in a way befitting their status and personalities. The concept is intelligent, original and has positioned Kobe footwear, like Bryant, head and shoulders above the competition.
This article was first published on Campaign YouTube
- Artworker Fashion & Retail Personnel Consultancy £23000 - £25000 per annum + Outstanding Benefits!, London
- Account Manager - top agency in Leeds Perfect Marketing People To £32K, Leeds
- Online Marketing Executive - global business services giant Perfect Marketing People To £25k, Manchester
- Digital Marketing Manager Salt £40000 - £50000 per annum + bonus, London
- Trainee Account Executive Michael Page Digital £16000 per annum, Guildford