My YouTube ad of the week: Martin Bailie, Glue Isobar
Campaign YouTube, Friday, 17 February 2012 10:52AM
Martin Bailie reviews Honda
Martin Bailie, executive planning director, Glue Isobar
Why I like this
Honda USA thought that teasing people with the prospect of a sequel to the adored Ferris Bueller's Day Off would get them talking and looking forward to the Super Bowl ad breaks. They were right. Pre-Super Bowl, the excitement was palpable. It's just that when the sequel turned out to be a Honda commercial, a vast outpouring of loathing spilled out on to the internet.
As an ad, it's well-shot, has lots of hidden references to the original (for the bloggers), is entertaining and tells a story. But it's the wrong story. What made the original a cult film was the joy of watching the worldliness, guile and luck of a high-school student. Who wouldn't have wanted to be him? Now, we are told a story of a middle-aged man with a facelift driving a sensible family car. No girlfriend, no kooky mate, no teachers, no Ferrari.
Wish I had thought of
Perhaps the most unfortunate element of this campaign is the strategy. Honda forgot the golden rule of "under promise, over-deliver". Doing the opposite is risky indeed. But at least the marketing team have nerves. You've got to applaud them for that.
This article was first published on Campaign YouTube
- Senior Digital Designer Twist Recruitment £35000 - £42000 per annum + benefits, City of London
- Paid Social Manager Lipton Fleming £32000 - £42000 per annum + excellent benefits, London
- Events Marketing Manager Stopgap £40000 - £50000 per annum, London
- Agency Account Manager/Director (Outdoor) Lipton Fleming £30000.00 - £35000.00 per annum + 25% bonus, London
- Head of Brand Marketing Stopgap £60000 - £70000 per annum + benefits, Surrey
- Sorrell says Publicis / Omnicom's 'merger of equals' is 'impossible'
- Evian baby Spider-Man 'rescues' fans with Twitter answers
- YouTube reveals user habits to appeal to 'older' marketers
- Pitch update: eBay's media contest, DFS and 2 Sisters Food Group
- McCann wins Qatar Financial Centre brief
- Three's pony and cats with thumbs top the cute Easter ad chart