My YouTube ad of the week: Kate Stanners, Saatchi & Saatchi
Campaign YouTube, Friday, 09 March 2012 10:56AM
Kate Stanners reviews Playstation
Kate Stanners, executive creative director, Saatchi & Saatchi
Why I like this
Is this a PlayStation Vita promo featuring Rizzle Kicks or is it a Rizzle Kicks promo featuring PlayStation?
It is essentially a pop promo featuring these young boys from Brighton, who have their own brand of cheeky-chappy music. We see them go about their day, separately, but connected through their play.
Where we see advertising is so important to the way we respond to it.
This piece is an effortless partnership: a product placement/product demo/music promo. It wouldn't work in a TV ad break - its narrative is too gentle, its point too subtle. Viewed online, you enjoy it as a joint venture promo - it doesn't feel a tortured partnership, rather a comfortable pairing, bang on target.
There was a time a few years ago when we were all desperately trying to work out the way product placement or branded content would work.Our British reserve and ultimate dislike of "the sell" meant that we found it rather distasteful. What has emerged are different ways of brands playing together. Witness PlayStation and Rizzle Kicks, helping each other out.
This article was first published on Campaign YouTube
- Artworker Fashion & Retail Personnel Consultancy £23000 - £25000 per annum + Outstanding Benefits!, London
- E-Commerce Manager Stopgap £45000 per annum, South East England
- Freelance Account Managers / Senior Account Managers, £NEG Fill Recruitment Ltd Negotiable, London
- Senior Brand Manager Ball & Hoolahan £58,000 per annum, London
- Marketing Manager Ball & Hoolahan £70,000 + Car/Car Allowance, London