My YouTube ad of the week: Sushma Sagar, Banana Republic
Campaign YouTube, Monday, 19 March 2012 03:16PM
Sushma Sagar reviews Peugeot
Sushma Sagar, senior brand manager, Banana Republic
Why I like this
Wow, Peugeot. What an ad! It is rare to capture more than six minutes of a viewer's attention online and this is exactly what its latest offering did to me - I was laughing out loud for most of it. The proposition is "Let your body drive", "body" being the operative word. The ad features a hero character who finds himself in a series of situations. Interactivity allows the viewer to be in the driving seat and to choose what happens. Our hero is certainly a star in the making. The fact that I was on holiday with intermittent Wi-Fi signal that kept stalling on our hero's buttocks made the ad even more, um, captivating.
The styling, casting and overall direction made it contemporary and funny.
The car doesn't even make an appearance until the last scene, but the beauty lies in the fact that the ad holds your attention and the payoff comes in the final line. This is a brave concept that only works because the creative is compelling, so much so I want to watch each situation again and see what happens if I say "no". If this is a total rebrand to appeal to a younger audience, I think Peugeot may have cracked it.
This article was first published on Campaign YouTube
- Senior Digital Designer Twist Recruitment £35000 - £42000 per annum + benefits, City of London
- Project Manager / Account Manager Story Recruitment £30-38k dep on experience, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Business Director Direct Recruitment £80,000 + Bens, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Account Manager Direct Recruitment £28,000 - £32,000, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Account Director Direct Recruitment £45,000, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Samsung calls global advertising and media review
- Watch the first YouTube clip, nine years on
- British Airways moves paid search account to Forward3D
- M&C Saatchi's Enyi Nwosu takes global role at Mindshare
- Post Office reviews advertising, DM and digital accounts
- Yahoo hosts exclusive X-Men: Days of Future Past films