My YouTube ad of the week: Sushma Sagar, Banana Republic
Campaign YouTube, Monday, 19 March 2012 03:16PM
Sushma Sagar reviews Peugeot
Sushma Sagar, senior brand manager, Banana Republic
Why I like this
Wow, Peugeot. What an ad! It is rare to capture more than six minutes of a viewer's attention online and this is exactly what its latest offering did to me - I was laughing out loud for most of it. The proposition is "Let your body drive", "body" being the operative word. The ad features a hero character who finds himself in a series of situations. Interactivity allows the viewer to be in the driving seat and to choose what happens. Our hero is certainly a star in the making. The fact that I was on holiday with intermittent Wi-Fi signal that kept stalling on our hero's buttocks made the ad even more, um, captivating.
The styling, casting and overall direction made it contemporary and funny.
The car doesn't even make an appearance until the last scene, but the beauty lies in the fact that the ad holds your attention and the payoff comes in the final line. This is a brave concept that only works because the creative is compelling, so much so I want to watch each situation again and see what happens if I say "no". If this is a total rebrand to appeal to a younger audience, I think Peugeot may have cracked it.
This article was first published on Campaign YouTube
- Artworker Fashion & Retail Personnel Consultancy £23000 - £25000 per annum + Outstanding Benefits!, London
- Head of External Communications Tarsh Lazare Marketing Recruitment £70,000 - £80,000 tax free, Kuwait
- Production Manager Pitch Consultants £25000 - £30000 per annum, Birmingham
- Content Director AF Selection £35,000 + Bonus + Benefits, Birmingham
- Advertising Operations Specialist Propel £24000 - £32000 per annum, City of London
- Campaign Viral Chart: Amazon's drones topple van Damme
- Shazam reveals most tagged ads of 2013
- Ogilvy poaches McDonald's creative director for Unilever role
- More evidence of strong TV spend in second half of 2013
- VCCP, MediaCom, Lida and SapientNitro among Campaign's Agencies of 2013
- New year's resolution: learn to code in 2014