campaignlive.co.uk, Thursday, 19 April 2012 08:00AM
The £110 million Tesco ad pitch is dominating new-business thoughts and conversations this week. The RFI, issued last week by Oystercatchers, says the supermarket giant is looking for a "rebirth" but doesn't give much else away about the magic it wants agencies to weave, short of a "step-change" and "creating new conversations with customers".
The 15 agencies that have their mitts on the RFI are already cursing the pitch date, however. The plan is for chemistry meetings with six agencies on 14-15 May, with a pitch date set for Friday 22 June, the Friday of Cannes week. So the lucky three that get to pitch could be seeing more of Tesco's Cheshunt car park than a sun-drenched Croisette.
Meanwhile, Oystercatchers is also running another, far smaller, pitch for Tesco. The contest for the Tesco-owned Blinkbox is storming ahead, with Karmarama and VCCP battling it out for the video-on-demand service's ad account. The pitch is set for the beginning of May.
Yell's global ad review is in its last stages with only two agencies left standing.
Engine and DDB will compete to win the account after Ogilvy & Mather and McCann Erickson were knocked out.
Another week, another vodka pitch. This week, it's the turn of the Russian Alcohol Group, which is looking for an ad agency to launch a premium vodka brand (just what the world needs). The Russian Alcohol Group has been in direct contact with agencies, inviting them to pitch for the business.
On the media front, Vizeum was knocked out of the £35 million Specsavers review early this week, leaving Manning Gottlieb OMD and the incumbent, MEC, to wait by the phone. Both agencies provided more information on Tuesday and it is understood that the clients are meeting today (19 April) to thrash out a final decision.
Sony Music has shortlisted Arena Media, Mindshare, MEC and the incumbent, Manning Gottlieb OMD, to pitch for its £10 million media planning and buying account. Briefs are yet to arrive but the four shops will pitch in late May.
MEC will not repitch for Land Securities but its sister agency MediaCom has stepped up to the plate and will face MPG Media Contacts, among others.
The Italian spirit brand Illva Saronno has reignited a pitch process it began last year. Agencies in the frame for a UK-focused brief include the incumbent, MEC, John Ayling & Associates, Vizeum, Manning Gottlieb OMD and the7stars.
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
- Senior Digital Designer Twist Recruitment £35000 - £42000 per annum + benefits, City of London
- Senior Digital Delivery Manager Harvey Nash £55000 per annum + package, Nottingham
- Assistant Buyer - Global Tech Brand Aquent Up to £49,000 Dependent on Skills and experience, London
- Senior Digital Operations Manager Harvey Nash £50000 per annum + package, Nottingham
- Marketing Executive Blue Skies Marketing Recruitment £25000 - £30000 per annum, Benefits: Benefits, London
- Evian baby Spider-Man 'rescues' fans with Twitter answers
- YouTube reveals user habits to appeal to 'older' marketers
- Pitch update: eBay's media contest, DFS and 2 Sisters Food Group
- McCann wins Qatar Financial Centre brief
- Three's pony and cats with thumbs top the cute Easter ad chart
- Metro launches content agency