campaignlive.co.uk, Thursday, 19 April 2012 08:00AM
The £110 million Tesco ad pitch is dominating new-business thoughts and conversations this week. The RFI, issued last week by Oystercatchers, says the supermarket giant is looking for a "rebirth" but doesn't give much else away about the magic it wants agencies to weave, short of a "step-change" and "creating new conversations with customers".
The 15 agencies that have their mitts on the RFI are already cursing the pitch date, however. The plan is for chemistry meetings with six agencies on 14-15 May, with a pitch date set for Friday 22 June, the Friday of Cannes week. So the lucky three that get to pitch could be seeing more of Tesco's Cheshunt car park than a sun-drenched Croisette.
Meanwhile, Oystercatchers is also running another, far smaller, pitch for Tesco. The contest for the Tesco-owned Blinkbox is storming ahead, with Karmarama and VCCP battling it out for the video-on-demand service's ad account. The pitch is set for the beginning of May.
Yell's global ad review is in its last stages with only two agencies left standing.
Engine and DDB will compete to win the account after Ogilvy & Mather and McCann Erickson were knocked out.
Another week, another vodka pitch. This week, it's the turn of the Russian Alcohol Group, which is looking for an ad agency to launch a premium vodka brand (just what the world needs). The Russian Alcohol Group has been in direct contact with agencies, inviting them to pitch for the business.
On the media front, Vizeum was knocked out of the £35 million Specsavers review early this week, leaving Manning Gottlieb OMD and the incumbent, MEC, to wait by the phone. Both agencies provided more information on Tuesday and it is understood that the clients are meeting today (19 April) to thrash out a final decision.
Sony Music has shortlisted Arena Media, Mindshare, MEC and the incumbent, Manning Gottlieb OMD, to pitch for its £10 million media planning and buying account. Briefs are yet to arrive but the four shops will pitch in late May.
MEC will not repitch for Land Securities but its sister agency MediaCom has stepped up to the plate and will face MPG Media Contacts, among others.
The Italian spirit brand Illva Saronno has reignited a pitch process it began last year. Agencies in the frame for a UK-focused brief include the incumbent, MEC, John Ayling & Associates, Vizeum, Manning Gottlieb OMD and the7stars.
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
- Mid Weight Planner - ATL Daniel Marks London £30-£50K + Excellent Benefits, Central London
- Senior Account Manager Twist Recruitment £32000.00 - £40000.00 per annum, London
- Account Manager Twist Recruitment £25000.00 - £35000.00 per annum, Windsor
- Digital Designer- Retail Brand! Up to £300/day! Nakama up to £300/day!, London
- Account Director - Shopper Marketing Perfect Marketing People To £55k, Manchester
- Cobra introduces bra-making brewer 'The Boss'
- Anti-slavery charity creates '12 Years a Slave' tactical ad after Oscar win
- Majority of 15m Twitter users in the UK follow a newspaper
- Hooch appoints More and MJ Media for Keith Lemon campaign
- Birds Eye kicks off £60m pan-Euro campaign
- Will content kill traditional ad models?