Why We're Loving ... Chris Mullany, senior creative technologist, AllofUs
campaignlive.co.uk, Thursday, 12 July 2012 08:00AM
Chris Mullany has created an interactive installation comprising four alternative energies - solar, wind, geo-thermal and atomic - using Xbox Kinect sensor cameras. The installation is the centrepiece of the King Abdullah City for Atomic and Renewable Energy in Saudi Arabia.
HOW: Mullany says: "The centrepiece utilises nine Xbox Kinect sensor cameras that detect user movements over three seven-metre-long, wave-shaped tables to trigger and project interactive dual-language animation and content on to the table surfaces. The display involves projection-mapping, multi-user-interaction and custom software using the openFrameworks toolkit, developed on the ground by an AllofUs team that flew to Riyadh for the install. The centrepiece helps bring together the surrounding 50 or so exhibits, from lively hands-on interactive displays for the kids to in-depth AV exhibits for the older visitors. AllofUs worked on the project alongside Beck Interiors, KCA London, Electrosonic, SI Electrical and LED."
The reason I got into programming was ... I've always been fascinated by computers. As a kid, I spent hours taking them apart and putting them back together. This fascination led to studying computing at university. At the same time, I was also very interested in and inspired by art and music, so it was natural for me to explore ways of pairing my inner nerd with my inner artist. It was this pairing, this discovery of producing art and visuals and interaction through programming and technology, that led to my current position.
The biggest influence on my career has been ... Science fiction, especially Iain M Banks novels. It's an endless source of inspiration and, more often than not, an insight into what the future might look like.
You probably don't know this but ... There are around 5,000 potato varieties worldwide, 3,000 of which are native to the Andes.
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
- Artworker Fashion & Retail Personnel Consultancy £23000 - £25000 per annum + Outstanding Benefits!, London
- New Business Developer Periscope Recruitment LLP £60000.00 per annum, London
- Account Manager London up to £30,000 Blue Skies Marketing Recruitment £25000 - £30000 per annum, London
- Senior Account Director Guru Careers £40 - 60k DOE, Based in South West London (SW18) - Commutable from Putney, Central London, The City, Greater London
- Account Manager or Senior Account Manager Source £27000 - £35000 per annum, London