IPA announces e-auction pitch guidelines
By Ian Darby, campaignlive.co.uk, Thursday, 23 August 2012 11:00AM
Concern is rising among agencies over the use of e-auctions in client pitches, forcing the IPA to issue guidelines to prevent abuse of e-auctions and e-sourcing.
The agency body has provided advice to shops and clients regarding procurement-led pitches and the use of online auction processes to choose a winning agency.
Guidance makes it clear that "careful consideration" should be given as to when an e-auction is appropriate. "It is not as simple as defining a cost level at which an e-auction is acceptable or whether the service being pitched can, in effect, be commoditised," the trade body recommends.
The IPA also urges clients to tell agencies at the start of a process if an e-auction is to form part of the pitch. It recommends that, where an e-auction is the determining factor of a pitch, agencies should not be asked to participate in a creative or strategic contest.
Cormac Loughran, the co-chairman of the IPA's New Business and Marketing Group and the chief marketing officer at Aegis Media, said: "With the increasing competition and expense involved, it's absolutely crucial that both agencies and clients recognise the new world of pitching. It's incumbent upon clients to create a clear pitch process, with no surprises."
Further advice is available at the IPA's microsite, The Good Pitch (thegoodpitch.com) and the best-practice guide Finding An Agency.Follow @Darbs73
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
- Mid Weight Planner - ATL Daniel Marks London £30-£50K + Excellent Benefits, Central London
- Interactive Digital Designer: (Mobile, Tablet, Web, Smartphone) Creative Recruitment £28000 - £33000 per annum + Negotiable, London
- Digital Designer & Content Manager (Website, Rich Media) Creative Recruitment £33000 - £38000 per annum, London
- Senior Optimisation Manager (RTB) Digital Gurus £25000 - £42000 per annum, London
- Senior Category Manager - Tesco Jarlett de Grouchy £55000 - £60000 per annum + Car Allowance + Benefits, Weybridge
- Kevin Bacon, Google Glass and Julian Assange: the SXSW weekend in tweets
- International Women's Day: "my gender is irrelevant" says Lisa Thomas
- Omnicom Media Group buys Mobile5
- BBH launches sport division with Lawrence Dallaglio
- IPA's 2014 Women of Tomorrow competition winners revealed
- HSBC launches Hong Kong Rugby Sevens push