Government rejects calls for alcohol ad ban
By our Parliamentary correspondent, campaignlive.co.uk, Thursday, 20 September 2012 11:10AM
The Government has rejected demands by MPs for a French-style ban on TV commercials and new curbs on cinema ads for alcohol.
Ministers have given a vote of confidence to the current self-regulatory system. But they hinted that the rules on TV ads might need to be tightened, to rule out alcohol commercials during programmes with "high appeal" to under-18s, rather than of "particular appeal" as at present.
Anna Soubry, the junior health minister, ruled out a British equivalent of the "Loi Evin", which was recommended by the Commons Health Select Committee in July. In its response this week, the Government said the evidence that the French law curbed underage drinking was "weak" and that the country’s total spend on alcohol ads was "little affected".
It also dismissed as disproportionate the committee’s proposal for cinema ads to be banned if 10 per cent of the audience is under 18, rather than 25 per cent as at present, and said showing alcohol ads with 18-certificate films would only be a "blunt tool".
Ian Barber, the director of communications at the Advertising Association, said: "We welcome the Government’s response, which recognises that alcohol advertising is already robustly regulated."
Ian Twinn, ISBA’s director of public affairs, added: "The Government has taken a balanced and well-thought-through position."
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
- Senior Digital Designer Twist Recruitment £35000 - £42000 per annum + benefits, City of London
- Marketing Manager Nu Creative Talent £26500.00 - £33000.00 per annum + excellent benefits, Hertfordshire
- Midweight-Senior Creative Team Major Players £50000 per annum, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Account Director Stopgap £40000 - £45000 per annum, Winnersh, Berkshire
- Project Manager / Account Manager Story Recruitment £30-38k dep on experience, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Samsung calls global advertising and media review
- Watch the first YouTube clip, nine years on
- British Airways moves paid search account to Forward3D
- M&C Saatchi's Enyi Nwosu takes global role at Mindshare
- Post Office reviews advertising, DM and digital accounts
- Yahoo hosts exclusive X-Men: Days of Future Past films