Paddy Power 'sky tweets' ambush Ryder Cup
By John Reynolds, campaignlive.co.uk, Monday, 01 October 2012 09:34AM
Paddy Power ruffled the losing US Ryder Cup golfers' feathers this weekend with a stunt in which it took to the sky to deliver encouraging and provocative "sky tweets", supplied by European fans.
The Irish bookmaker delivered a series of cheeky messages in the skies, which are reported to have angered the losing US Ryder Cup captain Davis Love III.
This stunt involved five planes "writing" tweets in the sky, which had been originally tweeted by European Ryder Cup fans, and was enacted in association with Crispin Porter & Bogusky and media agency M2M.
The messages were visible from more than 20 miles away and supported the Europeans while taunting their US opponents, particularly Tiger Woods.
Tweets that appeared in the sky included: "Spirit of Seve", a reference to European Ryder Cup hero Seve Ballesteros; "Mrs Dufner is hot", a reference to the wife of US player Jason Dufner; and "Retweet this Poults", referring to inspirational European player Ian Poulter.
In all, the sky tweet involved 40 Twitter messages from European fans written in the sky over the course of the final two days of the competition.
The planes were able to relay fans' tweets through a complex computer programme.
The technical delivery of the skywriting was handled by Curb Media.
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
- Senior Digital Designer Twist Recruitment £35000 - £42000 per annum + benefits, City of London
- Marketing Manager Nu Creative Talent £26500.00 - £33000.00 per annum + excellent benefits, Hertfordshire
- Midweight-Senior Creative Team Major Players £50000 per annum, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Account Director Stopgap £40000 - £45000 per annum, Winnersh, Berkshire
- Project Manager / Account Manager Story Recruitment £30-38k dep on experience, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Samsung calls global advertising and media review
- Watch the first YouTube clip, nine years on
- British Airways moves paid search account to Forward3D
- M&C Saatchi's Enyi Nwosu takes global role at Mindshare
- Post Office reviews advertising, DM and digital accounts
- Yahoo hosts exclusive X-Men: Days of Future Past films