GoCompare.com is most complained-about advertiser of 2012
GoCompare.com was the most complained-about advertiser of the past year with a total of nearly 2,000 complaints, according to the Advertising Standards Authority.
GoCompare.com managed to take both the number one and number two spot with ads created by Dare showing ex-footballer Stuart Pearce and presenter Sue Barker trying to silence Gio Compario, which recieved 1,008 and 797 complaints respectively.
Asda's "Christmas doesn't just happen by magic" ad by Saatchi & Saatchi was the third most complained-about ad with 620 complaints.
Other brands with the dubious honour of making the top 10 included Channel 4 for its promotion of documentary series 'My Big Fat Gypsy Wedding' by 4Creative and Kerry Foods for a Richmond Ham TV ad featuring nudity, which was created by Quiet Storm.
Paddy Power also appeared in the list for with an ad by Crispin Porter & Bogusky which offended the transgender community.Last year's most complained-about list was topped by retailer Phones 4U for a horror-themed ad.
Click here for full details of the ASA's annual report.
1. GoCompare "Stuart Pearce"
2. GoCompare "bazooka Sue"
3. Asda "Christmas doesn't just happen by magic"
4. Channel 4 "bigger, fatter, gypsier"
5. Richmond Ham "as nature intended"
6. Paddy Power "ladies day"
7. Kellog's Crunch Nut "snake"
=7. Morrisons "for your Christmas"
9. Kayak "brain surgery"
10. St John's Ambulance "helpless"
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
- Artworker Fashion & Retail Personnel Consultancy £23000 - £25000 per annum + Outstanding Benefits!, London
- Head of External Communications Tarsh Lazare Marketing Recruitment £70,000 - £80,000 tax free, Kuwait
- Production Manager Pitch Consultants £25000 - £30000 per annum, Birmingham
- Content Director AF Selection £35,000 + Bonus + Benefits, Birmingham
- Advertising Operations Specialist Propel £24000 - £32000 per annum, City of London
- Campaign Viral Chart: Amazon's drones topple van Damme
- Shazam reveals most tagged ads of 2013
- Ogilvy poaches McDonald's creative director for Unilever role
- VCCP, MediaCom, Lida and SapientNitro among Campaign's Agencies of 2013
- More evidence of strong TV spend in second half of 2013
- New year's resolution: learn to code in 2014