EDF Energy reviews European media account
EDF Energy, the energy company majority owned by the French state, is reviewing its media planning and buying account across Europe.
It is understood that Havas Media handles the account in the majority of markets, including the largest two – UK and France. In the UK EDF spent £23.9m in the 12 months to 30 September 2012, according to Nielsen.
The review is thought to be part of a statutory process. Havas Media, then MPG Media Contacts, retained the French and UK business in 2010 after a similar review when the business was estimated to be worth £66m.
MPG won the UK account, previously handled by Manning Gottlieb OMD, in 2007.
EDF is the latest energy company to review its agency arrangements in a pressured energy market. Scottish Power is reviewing its media planning and buying account and SEE is reviewing its creative and digital business.
EDF’s UK ad account is handled by Abbot Mead Vickers BBDO and is not affected by the review.
Recent work from EDF included a TV spot starring its mascot, Zingy, travelling on the back of a basset hound on his way home. The campaign highlighted the energy provider’s latest Blue + Price Promise tariff.
A spokesman for EDF said: "We are reviewing our media agency requirements. This is in line with standard industry practice."
In Europe EDF operates in Austria, Belgium, Germany, France, Hungary, Italy, the UK, the Netherlands, Spain, Poland, Ukraine and Switzerland.
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
- Artworker Fashion & Retail Personnel Consultancy £23000 - £25000 per annum + Outstanding Benefits!, London
- Senior Account Director - top agency in Leeds Perfect Marketing People To £60k, Leeds
- Assistant Brand Manager AF Selection £mid 20's, West Midlands
- Digital Senior Account Manager - top agency nr Chester Perfect Marketing People To £35k, Chester
- E-Commerce Manager Stopgap £45000 per annum, South East England