Metro launches gaming site with £1.9m ad campaign
By Priyanka Mehra Dayal, campaignlive.co.uk, Wednesday, 22 May 2013 04:25PM
Metro, the free newspaper owned by Daily Mail & General Trust, is backing its new online gaming platform, Metro Play, with a £1.9m national ad campaign using the tagline "More rewarding ways to Metro Play".
Metro Play was introduced some six months ago as a section in Metro’s tablet edition, but the formal launch today allows users to play everything from puzzles to paid casino games online, on mobile and on tablet devices.
To create a buzz around the launch, a campaign sporting the tagline, "More rewarding ways to Metro Play", is set for release in June and will be visible across multiple print and digital properties, including newspaper cover wraps, mobile and tablet insertions.
Dare, the creative agency behind the campaign was briefed to appeal to the urban dweller and keep the message modern, relevant and connected to the parent company, said Jamie Walters, executive director at Metro Play.
Metro Play will rely primarily on in-house promotions through the group’s existing media verticals for its above-the-line marketing. However, it has dedicated a bulk of the £1.9m ad budget to create a strong presence in digital displays and affiliate marketing.
Stickyeyes has been hired to administer pay-per-click and search engine optimisation marketing, while Dapper is managing the brand’s digital display and affiliate marketing.
With this campaign, Metro Play aims to target its core audience of young-adult urbanites while commuting, or during their downtime at work and home.
Walters said: "We know that Metro’s urbanite audience enjoy gaming as a mainstream leisure activity, using it to make the most of their most valued possession – their time. This makes Metro Play a very exciting proposition and we are proud to bring this innovative gaming destination to the marketplace."
With a deposit of between £10 and £250, users can register with Metro Play Casino to play one of the more than 200 web and 20 mobile games now live.
Linda Grant, the managing director at Metro, said: "Metro Play helps further Metro’s consumer cross-platform entertainment offering, giving consumers more reasons to engage with Metro more often, throughout the day.
"Built to fit into our core urbanite audience’s busy, on-the-move lifestyles, Metro Play is set to enhance Metro’s mobile-first strategy."
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
- Senior Digital Designer Twist Recruitment £35000 - £42000 per annum + benefits, City of London
- Project Manager / Account Manager Story Recruitment £30-38k dep on experience, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Business Director Direct Recruitment £80,000 + Bens, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Account Manager Direct Recruitment £28,000 - £32,000, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Account Director Direct Recruitment £45,000, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Samsung calls global advertising and media review
- Watch the first YouTube clip, nine years on
- British Airways moves paid search account to Forward3D
- M&C Saatchi's Enyi Nwosu takes global role at Mindshare
- Post Office reviews advertising, DM and digital accounts
- Yahoo hosts exclusive X-Men: Days of Future Past films