Y&R's digital arm expands into South Africa
VML, the WPP creative digital agency, has expanded into South Africa by acquiring a majority stake in local shop Native for an undisclosed sum.
The deal is still subject to regulatory approval but, if all goes ahead, it will gift VML a presence in both Johannesburg and Cape Town. The joint venture will be called Native VML.
Native, which was formed in 2010 after a merger of three agencies, posted unaudited revenues of approximately ZAR80 million (£5.17 million) for the year ended 28 February 2013.
The agency’s clients include Nedbank, GM, Pernod, Nestlé and L'Oreal.
News of the Native acquisition comes just weeks after VML announced that it had acquired a minority stake in the Polish interactive agency, Heureka.
Jon Cook, president and chief executive of VML, said: "Our global expansion is following a very simple strategy — taking great care in finding the right partner — strong capabilities, of course, but also the right fit in terms of people and culture.
"We know Native is an extraordinary match on all counts and a great platform for us as we look to build our brand further in the African market."
VML, which is part of WPP’s Y&R arm, was founded in 1992. Clients include Coors and Coors Light, the English Premier League, Kellogg’s and Microsoft.
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
- Artworker Fashion & Retail Personnel Consultancy £23000 - £25000 per annum + Outstanding Benefits!, London
- EMEA Mobile Agency Manager (Mobile Ad Technology) Digital Gurus £45000 per annum + 90,000 OTE, London
- Sales & Account Exec - #Mobile #Advertising #London Digital Gurus £18000 - £22000 per annum + OTE upto £26,000 (Package), London
- VP Business Development - Mobile Innovation / Products Digital Gurus £85000 - £125000 per annum + benefits, London
- Technical Sales Manager #RTB #Mobile #London Digital Gurus £40000 - £50000 per annum + + OTE 50%, City of London