Campaign Viral Chart: Marmite rescue spoof joins most-shared list
Marmite's latest ad, which has generated more than 400 complaints since it broke last week, has become one of the most-shared ads this week.
The ad, created by Adam & Eve/DDB, is the eighth most-shared ad this week following 17,132 shares across Facebook, Twitter and the blogosphere.
The ad launched last week and has received more than 460 complaints on the grounds of animal cruelty. Marmite-owner Unilever has since donated to the RSPCA to diffuse the outcry.
DirecTV, the American broadcaster, remains in poll position this week at the top of the chart with its "football on your phone" ad.
Created by Grey NY, the ad features American football stars, the Manning brothers, rapping to promote DirecTV's live streaming of NFL games to mobile devices.
Second in the chart, NBC's "American coach in London", created by The Brooklyn Brothers, has moved up the chart from being in third last week.
The ad, starring American comedian Jason Sudeikis and shared 66,605 times this week, has now been viewed just short of four million times on YouTube. It promotes the American TV network's coverage of the English Premier League.
Meanwhile, HTC, the mobile phone manufacturer, has entered the chart with its first ad, fronted by the Hollywood star Robert Downey Jr.
The ad, created by 171 Worldwide and shared 20,569 times this week, features Downey Jr discussing what the initials of HTC’s name stand for, suggesting "humongous tinfoil catamaran" and "hot tea catapult".
The chart, ranked according to data from social video expert Unruly, tracks the number of shares of ads across Facebook, Twitter and the blogosphere. Ads older than 30-days are not included.
1. DirecTV "football on your phone" by Grey NY
107,134 shares this week
All time: 434,448 shares
2. NBC Sports "an American coach in London" by The Brooklyn Brothers
66,605 shares this week
All time: 321,425 shares
3. AT&T "from one second to the next" by Werner Herzog and Saville Productions
41,021 shares this week
All time: 79,483 shares
4. Activision "Ghosts multiplayer reveal trailer" by 72andSunny
36,727 shares this week
All time: 74,081 shares
5. Jordan "Blake and Drain" by Wieden & Kennedy New York
35,266 shares this week
All time: 134,650 shares
6. Mini "mini art beat. driven by your style." by KKLD
33,289 shares this week
All time: 35,315 shares
7. HTC "here's to change" by 171 Worldwide
20,569 shares this week
All time: 24,939 shares
8. Marmite "end Marmite neglect" by Adam & Eve/DDB
17,132 shares this week
All time: 50,479 shares
9. Honda "project drive-in"
16,872 shares this week
All time: 153,486 shares
10. HelloFlo "the camp gyno" by BBDO
9,147 shares this week
All time: shares
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
- Artworker Fashion & Retail Personnel Consultancy £23000 - £25000 per annum + Outstanding Benefits!, London
- Frontend Developer Pitch Consultants £20000 - £25000 per annum, Bolton
- Digital Brand Manager Veritas Partnership Ltd £45000 - £50000 Per Annum Bonus and Benefits, M40 Corridor
- MOBILE PRODUCT MANAGER - Leading High Street Fashion Success Digital £55000 per annum, London
- RETAIL MARKETING MANAGER - Mobile Success Digital £70000 per annum, Berkshire