PlayStation 4 'will compete with second-screen market'
By Louise Ridley, campaignlive.co.uk, Monday, 18 November 2013 09:10AM
The PlayStation 4 console will compete with mobiles and tablets for ad revenue, says Tom Briant, the European ad sales manager for Sony Computer Entertainment Europe.
Briant told Campaign at a launch event last week that the PS4 console, which launches on 28 November in the UK, would take on "a new set of competitors" such as games that can be played on smartphones.
He explained that the new PlayStation console had moved beyond its traditional console rival, the Xbox, and should be seen in the context of other media platforms.
This week, PlayStation launches a second screen app for iOS and Android, which will allow users to turn their smartphone into a remote control for the PlayStation 4, buy Sony products and download add-ons and manuals for the console.
Briant added that advertisers could create their own branded games to appear on the console that can also be connected to social media. He said: "A brand could actually create a game and share that with the PS4 audience. They can experience it and then they can then share that with the peer group."
PlayStation's ad sales are run by ad house Ad2One. Dave Barr, the commercial director at Ad2One, said advertising opportunities would be "multi-functional" thanks to opportunities to download ad content, share socially and shop within the console's navigation system.
The PlayStation 4 launched on 14 November in the US. The lunch was marked globally with a brand advertising campaign created by 180 Amsterdam.
In London, the Oxo Tower was dressed with PlayStation symbols as part of a promotional campaign by Manning Gottlieb OMD, Talon Outdoor, Curb Media and Fever PR.
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
- Campaign Marketing Manager EMAP Competitive + Bonus, London (Greater) / London (East), London (Greater)
- Exhibition Designers WRG Live Competitive salary and benefits package dependant upon experience, Manchester, Greater Manchester
- Producer WRG Live Competitve salary and benefits package dependent upon experience, London (Central), London (Greater) / Manchester, Greater Manchester
- Content Manager WRG Live Competitive salary and benefits package, Manchester, Greater Manchester
- Graduate eCRM Assistant (3 month contract) Propel £110 - £120 per day, London