BJL makes play for clients by launching agency in London
By Kate Magee, campaignlive.co.uk, Thursday, 23 January 2014 07:00AM
BJL, the Manchester-based integrated agency, has opened a London office in Shoreditch as it attempts to broaden its client base.
The shop has recruited Aesop’s client service director, Paul Bentley, to run the office on a day-to-day basis. He was previously at BJL for six years and was also a board director at Iris.
Bentley will report to the BJL chief executive, Nicky Unsworth, who will oversee the strategic operation of the London agency.
Two members of staff from the 84-strong Manchester team will relocate to London – the head of content, Alex Dandeker, and the account planner Guy Ainsworth. They will be supported by Tom Richards, the creative director, who will divide his time between both offices. BJL is looking to hire more staff, including a planning director.
Unsworth said the time was right to open a London office after BJL’s acquisition of Mere PR in July last year. She added: "There is something interesting happening in Shoreditch and we wanted to be part of that."
Unsworth said a London office would give the agency access to a wider talent pool from which to recruit, particularly individuals with technical and digital skills, as well as attract clients who would not usually consider a shop based in Manchester.
"The national brands we work for tend to have a northern head office or heritage," she said. "We recognise that Manchester is not on the radar of some clients. A London office will help tap into a new prospective client base."
BJL works with clients including British Airways, Subaru, Isuzu, Asda, Betfred, Yorkshire Building Society and Swinton Insurance.
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
- Mid Weight Planner - ATL Daniel Marks London £30-£50K + Excellent Benefits, Central London
- Account Director Direct Recruitment £45,000, Central London
- Data Planner Direct Recruitment £28,000 - £33,000, London
- Senior Data Planner/Analyst Direct Recruitment £50,000 - £75,000, London
- Partnerships Account Director - eCommerce Business Silverdrum to £45,000 + bonus + stock + benefits, London
- OgilvyOne loses BA business
- Campaign Viral Chart: Pepsi tops Coke with Jeff Gordon test drive
- Iris and Cheil big winners at MAA Best Awards
- Twitter attracts more ads, but rates tumble 67%
- Greenpeace protests outside Saatchi & Saatchi London office
- Facebook research finds 42% switch device mid-activity