OMD wins £21m UK Disney media account as part of wider EMEA review
By Mark Banham, campaignlive.co.uk, Tuesday, 08 April 2014 03:15PM
OMD has been awarded the £21 million UK media planning and buying account for Disney, snatching the business from incumbent Carat and beating Havas Media in the final stage.
The awarding of the account is part of a wider £120 million EMEA review of the Disney media business that kicked off in October last year.
Disney will work with OMD's parent company Omnicom Media Group as lead agency in Ireland, Germany, Switzerland & Austria, Central & Eastern Europe, the Nordics and emerging markets including Greece, Middle East, South Africa and Turkey.
Havas Media will be responsible for local markets in Benelux (Belgium, the Netherlands and Luxembourg), France, Italy, Spain and Portugal.
The new contracts with Omnicom and Havas will commence on 1 July. Disney EMEA’s incumbent agency, Carat, is contracted until 30 June.
The Disney media account includes work for Disney films and Marvel releases, but also work for the company’s television concerns including the popular Disney Channel.
Tricia Wilber, chief marketing officer, The Walt Disney Company EMEA and general manager, Disney Channels EMEA, said: "The Walt Disney Company has embraced major change over the last few years, both from a consumer-facing and an internal point of view.
"With these new appointments, we will have the innovative and strategic integrated communications planning approach that we need in order to remain at the forefront of the ever-shifting media landscape."
"We would like to thank Carat for being fantastic partners for over 15 years and their professionalism throughout the review process."
Future film releases from Disney include 'Maleficent' with Angelina Jolie released this summer and 'Avengers Assemble 2', which is expected in early 2015.
Carat was dropped from the account in March. It had held the business since the late nineties. It last renewed its relationship with Disney after winning the consolidated account in 2010 after a closed pitch against ZenithOptimedia.
The Dentsu-owned agency will still retain the £8 million brief for the entertainment giant’s parks and resorts including UK media work for Walt Disney World in Florida and Disneyland Paris.
In November last year, Disney shifted its $800 million (£480 million) US media planning and buying account from incumbent Publicis Groupe’s 4D to OMD without a pitch.
This followed a separate contest for the business in 2011 that led to the account being split between Publicis and Carat.
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
- Deputy Creative Director - Integrated/shopper agency The Industry Club London Ltd £75,000, London (Greater)
- Account Manager/Senior AM - Partnership Marketing Stonor £30,000 - £40,000, London (Greater) / London (Central), London (Greater) / London (West), London (Greater)
- Account Director - Integrated marketing and Internal Comms Stonor £45,000 - £65,000 Dependent on Experience , Berkshire / Buckinghamshire / Hampshire
- Marketing Assistant, Finacial Services,London,£26k Blue Skies Marketing Recruitment £24000 - £26000 per annum, Benefits: excellent benefits, London (Greater)
- Business Development Manager - Creative Design Stonor £30,000 - £35,000 plus Commission OTE £60,000, London (Central), London (Greater)