Publicis Groupe and Omnicom cancel $35bn merger
Publicis Groupe and Omnicom have called off their $35 billion (£21 billion) merger, citing difficulties in completing the transaction within a reasonable timeframe.
The "merger of equals" was announced in July last year and the agency holding groups had originally expected it to go through in the first quarter of this year.
In a statement, Publicis Groupe, which owns Saatchi & Saatchi and Starcom MediaVest Group, and Omnicom, which owns OMD and the BBDO network, said they have terminated their proposed merger of equals by mutual agreement.
Both parties are released from obligations and there are no termination fees payable.
The management board and supervisory board of Publicis Groupe and Omnicom’s board of directors have approved the decision.
Maurice Lévy, the chairman and chief executive of Publicis Groupe, and John Wren, the president and chief executive of Omnicom, said: "The challenges that still remained to be overcome, in addition to the slow pace of progress, created a level of uncertainty detrimental to the interests of both groups and their employees, clients and shareholders.
"We have thus jointly decided to proceed along our independent paths. We, of course, remain competitors, but maintain a great respect for one another."
Earlier this month Campaign revealed that the proposed merger was costing the groups millions in fees, as the deal was delayed by tax rulings and plagued with rumours of infighting.
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
- Head of UX & Digital Design Director MCG Associates tax free competitive package, Dubai (Emirate) (AE)
- Ad Ops Manager - Leading Agency GoodEgg Digital £Neg + Great Benefits, South East England / London (Central), London (Greater)
- Digital Marketing Executive, London, up to £30k Blue Skies Marketing Recruitment £25000 - £30000 per annum, London
- Analytics Manager | 3 months Contract Salt £350 per day, Slough
- Creative Copywriter Blue Skies Marketing Recruitment £20000 - £25000 per annum, Guildford
- KitKat's mocking Apple tweet outperforms Oreo's Superbowl
- Social Media Week: what social media has taught us
- TfL launches selfie campaign to encourage people to get home safely
- Argos releases alien swan song ad
- Branded Content sends messages ads cannot, Diageo boss says
- 13 ways to create a winning print ad